Anybody use Speer .243 cal 85 gr. BTSP?

jt183

Does anyone use the Speer 85 gr BTSP out of their .243 Win. for hunting coyotes?? Just wondering if they are any more fur friendly than the other 85-90 grain stuff I've been using. Not looking for speculation, just experience.

I have used the 85grn sierra and 85grn speer softpoints. They worked very well on coyotes and deer. I used the 85grn sierra game king hpbt and they worked just as well as the soft points. I've used the 87grn Hornady HPBT and they worked well also. I also played with the 87g hornady vmax and i wouldn't suggest them on coyotes, they kind of leave a bigger hole. I wouldn't hesitate using the 85's at all on coyotes and/or deer, they will perform just fine.

xdeano

Thanks for the info. I currently shoot the 87 grain V-Max. I love its long range performance and knock-down power but I'm getting tired of stitching hides. I'm looking for something with a similar BC that is more fur-friendly. I just bought a box of the 85 gr Speer BTSP so I'll give them a try.

I shoot them out of my 6mm.....5/8 moa out of a throat that has seen better days
46.5 gns IMR 4831, Fed 210 primers, oal 2.820

they are very accurate...but they do leave an exit hole, but it's not near as bad as I get out of my 25-06 and 115 berger vld

not sure if any of this helps...mine being a 6mm an all

What size exit hole do you get on average?? I don't mind holes as long as they're small ones. A lot of mine are softball sized or worse on the close ones. As long as the coyote is at least 200 yards away and I don't hit any big bones the 87 V-Max does a great job, no exit or just a silver dollar size exit hole.

I have shot a ton of woodchucks with them. Great round
but I don't know if they would be good for fur. You would
be better off with something that goes in and doesn't come
out the other side.

Zeke

your asking a question that has a lot of variables. i've had quarter size exit holes and i've had baseball size exit holes. if the bullet hits a rib you are going to get a bigger hole ....especially if it hits a rib on the exit side

Zeke is absolutely right..the ultimate bullet for fur is one...... that doesn't exit

hornady used to make a bullet called "super explosive" or something like that.
I shot 50 grainers out of my 223 and it never EVER exited....but if the coyote was running away and you hit it in the rear end there was NO penetration. so it is really a toss up. They now have what they call the Z-Max....58 gr. in the .243.

The speer 85 spbt is a great all around bullet.....generally speaking not too big a exit hole on coyotes and it does a great job on deer size game if broadside and under 350 yds. It's kind of and "old school" type bullet....but that's not all bad. I've killed a lot of coyotes with it out of my 6mm...and I've probably killed half a dozen deer with it as well.

I would not take it to hunt the big mulie of a lifetime, but I've killed a couple of mulie bucks with it. Good luck... give it a try...if it shoots good out of you gun then it is definately worth trying...it's what i use

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts