243 and Sierra 85gr boattail

Kgkimerer

Is that bullet too tough for coyotes? I've been using 87 gr. Hornady, but they're too soft for deer. Or should I stick with two different loads? Just trying to get better use of Leupold CDS

Is that bullet too tough for coyotes? I've been using 87 gr. Hornady, but they're too soft for deer. Or should I stick with two different loads? Just trying to get better use of Leupold CDS
The sierra 85 is a great bullet. So is the Speer 85. One of my favorite fur bullets does not have a great bc but is very fur friendly. That is the Sierra 60 HP.
Thanks, Kirk

The 58 gr. Hornady V-Max is a great coyote bullet in the 243. They seldom leave the body, and they drop them in their tracks. For deer I use the 95/100 gr. Nosler partitions or the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip. All are great bullets.

The 58 gr. Hornady V-Max is a great coyote bullet in the 243. They seldom leave the body, and they drop them in their tracks. For deer I use the 95/100 gr. Nosler partitions or the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip. All are great bullets.
Thanks!

I agree with Catahoula, "The sierra 85 is a great bullet." After I got my first 243 and was searching load data and bullet choices, I kept seeing this one over and over with good reviews. I went with it and have never looked back. Shoots good with Varget and puts surprisingly big holes in deer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.