243 AI project rifle

budlight

I have a R-700 243 that's needs improving. I've been e-mailing a fellow LRH member about his 26 inch rifle. I was looking at 30 inch in the the Lilja 1-8, Palma 30B

1.250" .950" .815" 5.0" 8.5" 30.0" 5.62lbs

I preferr heavy barrel weight because of some varmint shooting and the brakeless lack of recoil.

My question would be: Is 30 inch too long for such a small case capacity?

I have a 243AI with a 30" Hart 1-9" twist. Its a heavy varmint taper. I like it very much. It seems to shoot just about everything pretty decent with hand loads. As a repeater I just shoot a fire forming load as thay are pretty accurate as well. It shoots the 105 gr Amax like a house of fire at 3350fps with only around 42-43 gr of RL 22. Its alittle heavy to carry around but shoots well from the bench. Just pick a taper and length for the type of shooting you will be doing. As for the twist I would reccomend the 9" since it does just about everything well.

Lance

Budlight hey !

My 243 Ai is 26" Schneider bbled 7.5 twist . It will stabilize the the 105/107/115 gr bullets which , if you are looking for long range ( say past 800 ) theser are the weights you want to shoot . Now , not trying to pick a fight with anyone but even Sierra says at least 8 twist for the 107 smk's . I have a load for my 243Ai that is producing es 20 something and sd below 10. This is at 3050 fps . It is a below max load and is giving great brass life using Lapua brass . Load is as follows : 107 smk , 41.6 grs H-4350, Fed. 210gm primer , Lapua brass ( only prep after fireforming is to trim to length ).

This combo is producing .5 " groups ( best ) to .7 groups ( avg ) @ 300 yds and 2.5" @ 700 yds ( best ).

Anyway , this is my favorite caliber for the small stuff and over the years it has proven itself over and over .

May your experience with it be good as well . BTW , do you really drink that stuff ? Budlight I mean , cuz they are ripping you off if so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

budlight,
I have got to agree with jimm on this one a 1-9" barrel keeps you from shooting the best bullet's in the 6mm class, the 105gr A-Max is ok at best and the berger 95gr VLD can also be used but by going to a 1-8" tube you can use the berger 105VLD and the Sierra107smk that are superior in every aspect to the 105gr A-Max (.500 B.C. vs 565 B.C. etc) plus in every rifle I own they shoot more accurately as well
UB

[ QUOTE ]
BTW , do you really drink that stuff ? Budlight I mean , cuz they are ripping you off if so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to look into 7.5 and 8 twist with a 30 inch to get the speed up with less pressure. I also plan a P-dog shooting.

As to your Budlight question: I know that I could just add water to regular bud and make my own. I was just over in austria and southern Germany for 17 days. I tried a few of each little villages local brew. No preservatives and anywhere from 5.8 - 6.6 percent alc. I could tell the difference in alc after a few liters.

When I was younger and dumber in the navy I used to drink straight liquor or biggest bang for the buck beer. Now that I'm older and have things to do, sipping light beer and moderation works the best for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey guy ,

I think you may get all you can get with a 28" . I'm thinking 30" would gain very ,very litle more . I am not the expert though maybe someone that really knows will chime in on this .

The beer thing , well just funning mostly but I do not like " light " beer , I find it an excuse to drink more beer with less flavor .

If longrange is your goal the fast twist / heavy for cal. bullet combo is the way to go .

Jim B.

p.s. I'm ex Navy too, 68 1/2 to 72, and yes , I was mostly immoderate in everything I did back then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.