243 AI problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 115654
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115654

Redding said I could save some $ by buying the case insert for my Redding Competition Neck Sizing bushing die so I did.
The case insert went right in the 308 die body. Got everything set up per Redding instructions with Redding shell holder in my Redding press.

I put dry lube on the neck to see how far it sizes. With the 243 AI case insert it sizes as shown by the center and far right You can't go any farther as the primer decapping rod bottoms out in the case.

Then I tried using the 308 case insert, it sized as shown on the far left. With this case insert the shoulder is also "touched" however the shoulder diameter is still 2 thou greater than that produced by my Redding FL 243 AI sizing die.

Question is: Is the sizing done by using the 243 AI case insert enough ? Or should I return it to Redding to have it shortened on the bottom and "chambered" deeper to push more neck into the bushing ?

IMG_4094.jpeg

Have you checked to see if the de-capping rod is screwed completely into the top of your die? In my Comp sets if the rod is screwed completely in they won't de-cap spent primers.

Have you checked to see if the de-capping rod is screwed completely into the top of your die? In my Comp sets if the rod is screwed completely in they won't de-cap spent primers.

Yes I adjusted it as far down as it will go w/o hitting the case inside and decaps fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about sizing more neck length. Pictured is plenty.
But the bottoming decapping rod needs resolved.

The only way to fix that is to increase the depth of the bushing countersink in the case holder.

If you don't own these dies and understand how they work it is almost impossible to discuss them and offer usable suggestions.

I have these instructions and followed them to the letter.

From you illustration I am already doing what you say produces optimum results.

Nmbarta, There is nothing wrong w/my FL die but why would I size the crap out of the case body when the bushing die is superior in all aspects ? This is a single shot bench/varmint rifle, accuracy is the goal.

I already had them and have done it per the instructions.

The issue is/was that with everything set up EXACTLY per Redding instructions, the bushing was not sizing the whole neck. It appears that is of no concern.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.