243 ackley fireforming loads?

Monte

Bought my first 234 ackley now I need some load info. Will probably use hornady bullets as I can get a good deal on them. any info would be appreciated.
Monte
243 ackley Cooper MTV

I use 36 grs of H380 and a cheap 100gr bullet seated out to the lands.

It realy doesen't matter with a ture Ackley case as the headspace doesen't change , so realy simply firing any factory ammo will make a formed case.
I had a cheap Adams & Bennet barrel chambered at the same time as my custom tube so I used it to fire form all my brass , then when I was done I unscrewed it and screwed on the Hart and bingo , 500 pieces of fire formed brass and zero barrel wear.

Monte ,
I thought about using the "cream of wheat" method for fireforming my .243AI but subsequently found that it shoots so well with 70gn Nosler ballistic tips and 42.5 gns Varget that I have been using that . Brass is Winchester and I haven't lost one out of 200 plus fired . Load gives 3550 fps in my 26 inch barrel .
43.5gns gives over 3700 in formed brass .
41.5 gns Varget gives 3515 fps with the 75 GN Hornady V Max for fireforming .
Varget seems to be the duck's guts with lighter pills for both accuracy and velocity . Suggest using a slower powder than Varget for 75gn pills or heavier in formed brass .4350 and 760 are OK and WXR performs really well. 47.5 gns 760 or 52.5 gns WXR give 3670 fps in formed brass with the 75 Hornady .
75 V Max has quite good BC for it's weight . Lighter V Max's not so good .
I'll be using the 95 Berger VLD at around 3300 fps once I'm finished fireforming .
What twist are you using ? Mine's 1 in 9 .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.