243 Ackley

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Well.....after alot of thought I decided to go with the 243 Ackley instead of the 6-284. Since I already had all the short action parts and we had an ackley reamer, I figured that I would just go with it. The 7mm AM that Kirby is building for me will take off where the 243 will end. My dad and I put this together over the last days. Here are the specs:

Remington Short Action - receiver face squared, lugs lapped, oven bake teflon coat
Holland recoil lug
#8 1-8 twist Lilja 3 groove SS barrel 27.5"
HS Precision vertical grip stock
Factory floorplate
Wyatts extended box magazine
TPS 20 MOA base and medium rings
Tasco Mil-dot scope (soon to be replaced)

We only had some real fine bead blast material left, so the barrel is still a little shiny. I will probably end up painting the whole rifle camo anyway for hunting coyotes. Have not decided on that part yet. Can't wait to get through the fireform loads and see what it will do with the 95-105 grain bullets.
DSCF0071.jpg
DSCF0070.jpg
DSCF0069.jpg
DSCF0068.jpg
DSCF0067.jpg

These were shot at 100 yards with some old speer 100gr bullets. Velocity is right at the 2900fps mark. Weighs in right at 12lbs.

Looks like you have a shooter. The color scheme will match the dog if you chrome plate his tail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Best of luck in working up a good A/I load. Keep us posted with the results.
Dave

The color scheme will match the dog if you chrome plate his tail
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to figure out how to hold him still and dip his tail as we speak. Not sure how the ducks would like it though. Thought about "camoing" my yellow/white lab a couple times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TMR, the rifle looks great and the 243AI is an awesome round and good choice. It looks like she is going to be a shooter. I love McMillan Stocks, but that H&S stocks look awesome too! I think I might use that stock for my deer rifle project. Let us know how she shoots, after fireforming.

Wildcat

Thanks guys,

Trying to figure out what scope to put on it right now. Hopefully will work up some loads this weekend. I have 2 new boxes of berger 95 vlds, hornady a-max, and berger 105's sitting here on the bench. I would like to get a 6.5-20 Leupy with the TMR reticle, but for the price, a guy can almost buy a nightforce. I will have to look around for a used one.

TMR, for a quality rifle like that, I would put the best optics on her. I would go with the Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS. Leupolds are excellent scopes, but Nightforce scope are much better than Leupolds. Nightforce scopes are worth the money, I own three and they are an awesome product. I own two 12x42x56 NXS's and one 5.5x22x56 NXS. I own Leupolds too!! and I use to put them on all of my custom rigs. However, one day I went shooting with my buddy who had just mounted his new 8x32x56mm NXS on his 6mm Remington. I looked through the scope and could not believe how clear the glass was and how well the scope worked. From that day on, I would only put Nightforce Scopes on my Long range custom rigs. TMR, if I were you, I would put a Nightforce scope on that high quality rig. Let us know what you decide.

Wildcat

Pretty slick stick TMR, must feel pretty nice having built it yourself, too. Bet that it will shoot that much better once you get some full power loads worked up with the match bullets.

Far as the scope goes, I might try and find just any used 6.5-20 and have Leupold switch it over to the TMR for $200. Should be able to come in for around half the jingle of a Nightforce. But I bet you knew that, you obviously aren't a stranger to this game.

Was going looking to pull a similar trick with a lower powed Leupy, but B.J. came in with such a low price on a 3-9x40PR I can hardly justify it.

Hi TMR,
Great Rifle, excellent cartridge choice, there again i am biased.
Here are a couple of pics of mine, virtually identical spec.

122243_Ackley_Rifle_001.JPG

122243_Ackley_Rifle_002_1.JPG

I have a Holland bolt handle and recoil lug fitted and a Rifle Basix trigger.
The Mount is a Warne Tactical coupled with Leupold MK4 rings and as you can see they carry a Leupold LRT With M1 turrets.
I have had excellent results using the Lapua 105grn Scenar ove 46grns of H4350 Ext.
Although only tested at 100m, with velocity at 3195fps, 1/2 moa accuracy, Extreme spread of 20fps and standard deviation of 9, this load has the potential for an outstanding long range performer.

Ian

Centre Punch,

Wow, that is pretty close. I need to get some better blasting media so that my barrel is not so shiny. Very nice package.....might be a little biased also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TMR, were you able to do some load work today. I am curious to hear how she shot.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
TMR, were you able to do some load work today. I am curious to hear how she shot.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

Wildcat....I did a little between rain storms. I had a few different powders loaded up, but the rain stopped my chronographing. The Reloader 22 load was the only one I got to shoot over the chrony. 48.5grs of RE-22 pushed the 105gr Berger at a little over 3250fps. I put 3 shots in a group just over 1/4" and then pulled the 4th shot to open it up to 1/2". Since deer season opens this weekend, I will probably use this load for now. There is no pressure and I think that I could probably push it a little more, but this is plenty accurate. I did not get a chance to shoot the 95 gr bullets, but I am happy with the 105's right now. I did shoot some rocks between 400-650 yds and a milk jug at around 750yds. The rifle will hit them everytime if I do my part. Shooting over the mirror of the truck gets a little wiggly at times. I was going to use my 7mm STW for deer, but this rifle shoots so good, I would like to give it a try. I might have to take both with me. Can't wait to find a coyote now.

TMR, your rifle sounds like it's going to be a shooter. I can't wait to shoot coyotes with my rifle too!! Thanks for the update.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.