230gr berger used in Africa with success

I was under the impression that thew newer ammo used by the army for their .300's was something like 178-200 grain, not a factory bought berger

Remington Brass
89.4gr Retumbo
Fed 215
Berger 230gr Hybrid Target
3,050fps
3.899 coal

Last edited by a moderator:
Did that info come from Berger? I have wondered if the 230 gr OTM uses the same jacket as the 215 gr hybrid.
Edd,
The Berger Target and OTM bullets do have slightly thicker jackets than the hunting bullets. If there is a difference in jacket thickness between the 215 Target and 230 OTM I have no idea what that would be. Its proprietary and they do not tell us.

RM,
I very much appreciate your detailed account of the success you had with the .30 caliber Berger 230 gr. bullets. In the past I read of good performance of that round on elk but your report puts any doubt I had to rest - completely.

I have a few boxes of Berger 230 gr. Hybrid bullets I was intending to use in my .300 Win. mag. Rem-actioned HS Precision target rifle. But since all my competition shooting is now done with a 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle I'll load those Berger Hybrids for my .300 Win. mag. Browning A-Bolt for elk hunting.

Imagine, a match quality round that is great on big game. That's good news.

Eric B.

I haven't loaded a 230gr. yet but the Hornady book shows a Max. C.O.L. for the 300 RUM being 3.600
That's the SAAMI standard. You can load as long as you like. If it doesn't fit in your magazine, you have to load it one shot at a time a la single shot. I have a Wyatt's magazine box in my 300 RUM that lets me load out to nearly 4.0" COAL. . . .

EDD, The bullets used by US military snipers are, as you say, hollow point (not "open tipped) BUT those "hollow" points are generally not hollow all the way to the lead core but hollow only within the jacket.

I once shot a tom turkey with a hand loaded Sierra match hollow point bullet in my 5,56 AUG carbine (gas pistol removed making it a straight pull bolt gun). He flew away and I never saw him again.
The next year during archery season I was walking back to my car when another car pulled up and the guy said, "Hey, I've got a story for you. Remember last year when you told me you shot a tom turkey that you hit but got up and flew away?" I said, "Yeah, I sure do."
He said,"Well later that season I shot that turkey." Unbelieving I said, "How do you know it was my turkey?" He replied, "Because when I butchered it there was a bullet hole through both sides of its breast."
Needless to say I was amazed but then remembered I shot it with a match bullet. Later that day at home I examined my .22 caliber match bullets and I saw that the hollow point was ALL copper with no lead exposed.