230 hybrid issues

moose243

Hi there I'm currently shooting a 230 Berger hybrid out of a 300 rum , I'm having elevation issues at 1k in head and tail winds but not in side winds . I'm pushing them at 3k fps I'm thinking trying to get it to 3150 ish it's out of a 10 twist bartlein 30" straight profile Barnard action
Any help really appreciated
Cheers
Paul

Do you hit high with the tail wind and low with the head wind or switched, I have the issue here in on a certain range, topography is the issue here, there is a land contour change near the target that gives an up or down draft on certain days. Does the issue go away on low wind or calm days, if so take a walk and study the area

hi there , it seems to be s bit of a random in the wind but maybe the local flags are not telling everything ? I have also discovered that I'm on the edge of stable/unstable as I have a 10 twist barrel ! I was hoping the 100fps over s wsm might alleviate the problem but I found a twist checker and it says with a 10 I need 3500fps to stabilise !!!!!needed I think ! I've got a 9 twist I just need to get it chambered .
cheers for your help though . a lot more helpful than Bergers reply ; check your hold on the gun !!!!ffs and the head/tailwind changes the bc!! ffs I'm no amateur and I could stand up so the wind couldn't affect it 3/4moa I pointed out to him !

I have 3 rifles running the 230s, a 300 rum running 2920 in a 26" and a 300 win in a 23"....long story and a 300 win in a 22", all have a 10 twist, they all shoot a grand well and beyond, maybe you have another gremlin, I shoot between 4000' and 10,000, good luck

How about vertical wind? If you are shooting on un-even ground, the head/tail winds could be causing a vertical component to the wind. Trying to shoot groups at the Harris, MN IBS 1000 yard matches with a head or tail wind ...... almost impossible!!!! The vertical on target is huge!! And, it isn't just one guy....pretty much everyone at the line on that relay get hammered!!!

Tod

apparently iam not alone in this some other guys that shoot out f class national league have had the issue too , Bergers reply was amazing I have figured out they were just on the edge of stable do I've moved to the 215s today ! shall we say pushing em faster makes em thump a bit and I've not had the best day score wise and also I had a few issues on the point ! rear bag moving etc but....... I think I have a rear bag tactic that will work so tomoz I'm off for a few at 200 yards to see
cheers for the replies guys
paul

Looks like if you switch to the 230 Match Hybrid OTM you will have a SG of slightly above 1.5 which is stable. With a BC of .710 it would still be a formidable performer...

I have 3 rifles running the 230s, a 300 rum running 2920 in a 26" and a 300 win in a 23"....long story and a 300 win in a 22", all have a 10 twist, they all shoot a grand well and beyond, maybe you have another gremlin, I shoot between 4000' and 10,000, good luck

Using a 10" twist, 3000 fps velocity, and sea level as a baseline, going to 4000 ft altitude is the equivalent of increasing the twist to to 9.25" and going to 10,000 ft is equivalent to increasing it to 8.25".

Sorry mate, couldn't resist! I was stationed in RAF Lakenheath in Brandon, Suffolk in 2000-2003 and spent some time touring Fort William area on our way to see Nessy.

We enjoyed our tour and would love to make it back again and see some old friends again and tour more of the country sides ... all that time I missed the Highlander Olympics. :):Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.