22x47 Lapua reloading advice needed.

KzDurango

Hi guys . Thought I would post this here because this barrel has me so stumped .
First off let me explain the components used .
Rifle is a savage model 12 action. Barrel is a new Wilson 1-8 twist 26 inch's long that I've shot 300 rounds through already . Barrel is 1.080 straight taper . So heavy heavy bull type barrel. Barrel uses a precision ground lug and barrel nut and was head spaced using Forster
Go/ No Go gauges . Components used for loads are Brand New Peterson 6x47 Lapua brass that's been necked down and neck turned then run a .002 neck tension mandrel down them .
Primer pockets have been uniformed and I'm using CCI 450 primers . Powder charge is 40.6 of H4350 and a 75 grain Hornady A-Max is used for projectile . I've loaded them at .010 off jam .
See below for grouping. First 5 shots are pretty good then 2nd string of 5 shots are absolutely horrible. What would cause this ??
6C7C643F-D7B8-456F-ACE8-33E06ABFCADF.jpeg
59D69D19-5076-41A0-99B7-5903E5CACEE7.jpeg

Possibly, the barrel is breaking in. Copper and fouling in a new barrel often adds up quickly. Sounds like the load also has some velocity.

ON new barrels, I may de-copper, brush after 3-5 rounds to test the barrel in its fouling tendencies, go from there.

I would not make any kind of judgment on one load, do a load development test after you clean the gun

Possibly, the barrel is breaking in. Copper and fouling in a new barrel often adds up quickly. Sounds like the load also has some velocity.

ON new barrels, I may de-copper, brush after 3-5 rounds to test the barrel in its fouling tendencies, go from there.

I would not make any kind of judgment on one load, do a load development test after you clean the gun
Ok I've put 300 rounds through this barrel trying to find a load it likes and have cleaned 4 times already. And prior to shooting this group in above pics the barrel was scrubbed down with a nylon brush with bore tech copper eliminator. So it was a clean barrel in this grouping . I'm soo stumped on this barrel and trying to find a load it likes .

First off.

Is the barrel free floated, not contacting the stock anywhere?

Is the action bedded?

I shoot a 22x47 with a 26", 1-8 Brux. 88gr ELD-M's @ 3231 fps on top of 38.3gr H-4350, BR-4, Necked down 6.5x47 Lapua brass.This combo is spooky accurate. The 77gr Sierra Matck kings shot really well over RL-26 @ 3600 fps.45.5gr RL-26, CCI 450.

I could never get the 75's to shoot well.

100 and 300 yard groups.

Attachments

• B8D4FEB7-08E8-4495-8AC4-6B5FF4C06471.jpeg
    B8D4FEB7-08E8-4495-8AC4-6B5FF4C06471.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 388
  • D251555A-4E7B-4B41-A544-BEACE5AA31F4.jpeg
    D251555A-4E7B-4B41-A544-BEACE5AA31F4.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 310
First off.

Is the barrel free floated, not contacting the stock anywhere?

Is the action bedded?

I shoot a 22x47 with a 26", 1-8 Brux. 88gr ELD-M's @ 3231 fps on top of 38.3gr H-4350, BR-4, Necked down 6.5x47 Lapua brass.This combo is spooky accurate. The 77gr Sierra Matck kings shot really well over RL-26 @ 3600 fps.45.5gr RL-26, CCI 450.

I could never get the 75's to shoot well.

100 and 300 yard groups.
Hello thanks for your reply.
Yes barrel is free floated and action sits inside a MDT LSS chassis But I did not bed the action. Barrel is a Wilson 1-8 twist The I'm been thinking of doing a ladder test with 77 grain Sierra TMK's

Last edited:
First, you need to invest in a Teslong bore scope, they are very inexpensive. With the amount of powder you are using in a small bore, with the speed, you are getting some serious fouling. Cleaning every 40-60 rounds is way over the limit.

You will become your own expert with your cleaning methods, and I can tell you right now that your bore was not clean when you thought it was clean...this is the start of your problem.

Next problem, the barrel may not like the bullet, but you do not know until you get the bore scope. I paid $89 for mine that plugs into an old lap top. The best one is the hand held with the 5" screen..

I have been down this road of helping shooters with fouled barrels many times. When they got the Teslong, bore scope, they were simply amazed at how ignorant they had been. I have two 22-243 AI's, and I shoot the 60g Sierra's at 4000.

I would go on the hunt for some Berger 77g OTM Tactical, AFTER you get the Teslong..

AA2700 is close to the burning range of H4350. 2700 will give you another 30% minimum barrel life, compared to the H4350 with Reloader 17 eating your barrel up like you are shooting battery acid.

First, you need to invest in a Teslong bore scope, they are very inexpensive. With the amount of powder you are using in a small bore, with the speed, you are getting some serious fouling. Cleaning every 40-60 rounds is way over the limit.

You will become your own expert with your cleaning methods, and I can tell you right now that your bore was not clean when you thought it was clean...this is the start of your problem.

Next problem, the barrel may not like the bullet, but you do not know until you get the bore scope. I paid $89 for mine that plugs into an old lap top. The best one is the hand held with the 5" screen..

I have been down this road of helping shooters with fouled barrels many times. When they got the Teslong, bore scope, they were simply amazed at how ignorant they had been. I have two 22-243 AI's, and I shoot the 60g Sierra's at 4000.

I would go on the hunt for some Berger 77g OTM Tactical, AFTER you get the Teslong..

AA2700 is close to the burning range of H4350. 2700 will give you another 30% minimum barrel life, compared to the H4350 with Reloader 17 eating your barrel up like you are shooting battery acid.
Good thing I don't use Reloder 17 then.
The reason I chose the 75 Amax was because I wanted a thin jacket type hunting bullet . I
Don't think the Berger 77 grain tactical bullet is going to work very well on coyotes and smaller varmints

Last edited:

Good advice here. I have also had success limiting copper fouling on these little screamers (.224 TTH) with HBN coated bullets. But, If you don't clean and then keep them clean there is no hope. I'll also bet the throat looks like a lava flow. A little JB in the first few inches will help some. Thin jacketed bullets in this type of gun have all kinds of issues in a rough throat. Monos? Always a possibility.

Bergers work well on coyotes!

Please get the Teslong, it is the Foundation on solving your problem. I can not stress this enough.

I can go into further detail with PM's.

I have 4 Wilson barrels now, they all are extremely accurate.

If you could please pm me the exact Teslong you use .

One doesn't need a bore scope to properly clean a barrel. Get a good solvent like Montana Extreme. Black, brown, blue or clean. The color of the patch through the barrel will tell you everything you need to know.

Every barrel is different. Some have "Cold feet" and after a cleaning , they may take one or two shots to settle in. Some my take two or three, three shot groups or so.

Some of my barrels will shoot well right away with a completely clean barrel. As is the case with my 22x47 Lapua. As mentioned above, after a good cleaning my 22x47 will be quite accurate for about 36 shots, but then accuracy starts to drop off from there not too bad but I know the barrel well enough. It's just not shooting internet .1' or low .2's.

Now my .22 Creedmoor Improved will rock for 100 rounds or more with the Berger 80.5 full bores and shoot right around 3/4" of an inch at 300 yards. I know when it's time to clean the the barrel, when I start impacting high at distance above my aim point. The barrel is dirty and the slight restriction in the bore is causing higher velocities.

Over the time, you will get to know all your barrels. Extreme accuracy is a very satisfying thing for me. It has nothing to do with anyone else. It is something, I alone strive for. I have never played golf in my life but I understand the whole point of the game. Distance, small point of aim, do it in one shot, every time if possible. Learn the wind and on and on.