22LR conversion!!

Frank7mm

Anyone using one of the 22lr conversions for a AR15 and if so is it accurate. Is it comparable to a 10/22?

Frank7mm,

Well, yes and no. I use one a great deal as a training rifle, but it's a dedicated unit, NOT the drop in kit for use on a 223 upper. I have one built by Derrick Martin (Accuracy Speaks, in AZ) and it is indeed a tack driver. Those units that replace the bolt and are used in a conventional AR upper are more like Minute Of Tin Can, at best. Several problems here that the Accuracy Speaks (and now several others as well) addressed related to the improper bore size (RF barrels are about .002" smaller than .22 cal CF barrels), a twist rate that twice as fast as it should be (1x16" vs the ARs 1x7" or thereabouts), the fact that the bullet travels about an inch and a half before it finds any rifling, and the fact that it has to pass over a gas port, which isn't helpful to the bullet or the upper's gas system. Lots of problems. Still, they're cheap, and can get you some enjoyable plinking time. If you're serious about accuracy, look at one of the dedicate uppers on the market these days.

+1 to everything Kevin said. Probably the most popular match grade .22 upper today is the Compass Lake Engineering. At just over $1000 it is a serious instrument. These uppers are extremely accurate. The Louisiana Shooting Association has 5 of them for its junior highpower shooting program. They provide better feedback than a .223 upper for training purposes and are cheaper to shoot to boot. We are talking about one raged hole accuracy at 50 yards with proper ammo.

I have a dedicated .22 upper from CMMG. I purchased the parts that I needed from them (barrel & bolt) and assembled it myself using other parts I had sitting around. Awesome little rifle! I have a lot of fun with it.

i have the Spikes tactical ST-22, a dedicated .22lr AR...it is reliable, accurate to a "T" and rugged. i can ask no more. it's simple an upgraded M4 and well worth the, near, $1000 price...walther target grade barrel, chrome bolt, etc.

unfortunately, they are no longer available at this time...they may re-introduce them in the near future. you might be able to locate a good used one.

I have had a Ceiner and 3 CMMG .22 Conversion kits. The Ciener worked okay but all 3 of the CMMG's worked great. The accuracy out of a .223 barrel was completely acceptable. I would say the CMMG's worked more reliably than my 2 Ruger 10/22's.

At $180 I don't see any reason to go to a dedicated upper other than just convenience.

I have a tactical solutions dedicated upper, it is very accurate and lightweight, im actually trying to sell it if you're interested, it has a threaded barrel and is really fun with a silencer

True1911,

The definition of "acceptable" is the issue here. If you're talking about a true training rifle for a dedicated HP-XC competitor, the drop-in conversion units are not acceptable. For this sort of application, or to use them in any sort of smallbore competition, you'll need a dedicated upper, and one that's properly built at that. Derrick Martin, Frank White and a couple others will set one up nicely. Again, for purposes of just plinking or familiarization with an AR platform, the drop-ins are great.

With good ammo, my Accuracy Speaks upper, as well as every one I've seen from Compass Lake (Frank White) will hold x-ring on an A-36 50 yard smallbore target. The drop-ins, on the other hand, would be hard pressed to hold 10 ring, and most I've worked with would be doing good to have held the 8 ring. It's all a matter of degrees.

With a little gunsmithing a 10/22 can shoot! Check out my link below.

Thanks Nemohunter! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I do however like my dedicated AR-22! It's a shooter as well!

031-1.jpg

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.