22LR at long range

G

I'd just like to hear what you have to say about using the 22LR for small varmints at LR. A group of us have been shooting 22LRs out to 400-yards, and have been having a ball. Last fall I took a bull chipmunk at 238-yards (laser measured) with my Cooper 57-LVT. Missed him by half an inch on the first shot, held off for the drift and the second shot took him through the head.

When I was stationed in South Dakota, some fellow Airmen and I would drive to the Badlands and shoot Prarie Dogs all day long with .22's. We had a blast! We shot at them as far as we could see. We would just walk the rounds in on them before they got scared and ran to their holes. The .22's didn't scare them too bad. If we broke out the big rifles, the dogs went in their holes and stayed. Pretty soon, we wouldn't even take the big guns. We went often and always shot at least 2 bricks of .22 ammo per day. It was a lot of fun.

Tom, I agree this is fun. I have only made a few p-dog trip, and found that the 22LR was a ball on them. I'm in the process of building a few longrange 22LR rifles from H&R M12s. If you would like to see a few photos please drop me a line at my email address, [email protected]

I believe I have filled several truck loads of game in my life with .22rf. I have shot ptarmigan so far away that the bullets stay in the bodies, vary little meat wasted. I shot serveral thousand rabbits on Sanwan Island at never less than 200 yards. I only use WINCHESTER .22 high speeds and REMINGTON HV when I can't get the WINCHESTERS. If it would'nt bring down hales of hate mail I could tell you that I've killed much larger game out to 400 yards with this cartridge but will leave it to your own guess as to what? In closing, if left with only one rifle please let it be My .22rf! "Oh how I love this little killer."

I just shot my marlin 25mn 22mag. at 100 yds for the first time. It was really windy, but I was pleased. I shot off a tree and had a group about the size of a baseball, but the wind blew them about 1.5in left, but didn't drop at all. Remington premier ammo 3x9x32 scope. Couldn't imagine 400 yds.

3, I used to shoot the Winchester HS Hp Super-X ammo for years and thought that they were the best for hunting. They were good, but the quality is dropping off in this ammo. Give the Federal new Champions a try (blue box. They are high speed and are very accurate. They run about 1240 fps over the chronograph and there is a very low SD. The last carton of Winchester Super-X ammo I had from Wal-Marts had several miss fires. When I pulled the bullets some had no priming compound in the bottom of the case. The priming compound was on the side-walls near the mouth of the case.

What I really want to try next is converting my 10-22 into a 17 Mach2. Has anybody done this yet and what are your results?

Thanks for the heads up on this ammo! I always buy two cases at a time when I buy .22 shells so it will be sometime before I need to bring more out from town. But I will remember. And thank you, this is the kind of help I always like to get! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.