225 Winchester Question

gjn11

I know the 225 Winchester is semi rimmed but seems to feed ok in the Winchester Model 70 it was designed for. Any reason it wouldn't work well in a Remington 700?
Thank you.

brass is available,but harder to find. 225 can be made with forming dies available on special order from RCBS, but sorta difficult

Well, let me see,,,,,, NOS Winchester head stamp brass is going for $1.50-$2.00 per case (that's $150.00 to $200.00 per 100). It can be made from 30-30 Win. brass which is "no easy task" according to Nosler. 25-35 would be a better option IF new brass could be aquired. The rim would have to be turned down even after sizing was accomplished when using either of those. Case forming dies are about $175. Would I barrel up a rifle for myself chambered in 225 Winchester? Not a chance! I'd have to have a pile of new brass on hand. Brass fired in another chamber is never a 'shoe-in' in any other chamber, even after FL sizing. I've got a 6mmX45 right now that won't except FL sized brass that was fired in another 6mmX45 THAT WAS EVEN CUT WITH THE SAME REAMER! Could I buy a small base die and make it work? Probably, but why? No small base die available for the 225 Win. A custom sizing die? Reach for your wallet! That's not the only example I can site. It's actually pretty common,,,, guys figuring they'll just use the brass they already have even though it was fired in another chamber. If I wanted something different I'd look at the .220 Swift or the .220 Swift Ackley Improved. At least I could buy current manufacture Hornaday brass for that. (a die set for the .220 Swift AI will cost a $100.00 + and be 'special order' from RCBS) The .220 Swift will feed from a 700, no problem, and it's 'semi' rimmed. Don't know about the 225 Win

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts