223 twist and 40 gr Vmax

Storm1

I loaded 10 40gr Vmax for my AR-15 with a 1-7 twist. Will these projectiles stay intact at that twist? Just started loading for the AR any info would be great.gun)

I don't think you will see a problem with bullet integrity at the modest velocity you can obtain with a 223 but it may not be the most accurate bullet through an AR.

This will be a 25ft at most home defense round. Doubt it will go through a wall. I am going to test Saturday. I have some 50gr that should do better with varmints. Thanks.

In a 223 I really doubt you can push them fast enough to be an issue I've used the 35gr vmax without issues. Try 55gr vmax 21gr imr 3031 CCI 400 primers COL 2.25" all brass trimed to the same length it's been my go to combination for my AR's it will shoot MOA or better out of my 5 AR's and both of my brothers also. If I'm shooting over 300 yards then I use the 75 gr bthp hornady match bullets with imr 4895 or imr 8208 XBR don't have my load book in front of me or I'd give you the powder charges. I've shot 2.5" groups at 400 yards with the 75's floated barrels match triggers ect this wasn't with a run of the mill AR

This will be a 25ft at most home defense round. Doubt it will go through a wall..

What? You're kidding, right?
That bullet will go through more than 1 wall and you are responsible for where that bullet ends up regardless of what you use it for.

What? You're kidding, right?
That bullet will go through more than 1 wall and you are responsible for where that bullet ends up regardless of what you use it for.
Already have tested it on a small test wall. Put a old thick blanket 5 ft from it. And it does not survive intact. As a matter of fact small parts of it hardly made it through the second sheet rock. Tested my 40 cal hollow points and it did more damage. My 12 ga loaded with #4 Big hole in both. Even bigger with 00 buck. So what do you suggest?

Already have tested it on a small test wall. Put a old thick blanket 5 ft from it. And it does not survive intact. As a matter of fact small parts of it hardly made it through the second sheet rock. Tested my 40 cal hollow points and it did more damage. My 12 ga loaded with #4 Big hole in both. Even bigger with 00 buck. So what do you suggest?

I am not sure why you shot through a thick blanket first, but, you cannot assume you will hit the home invader. That .223 will definitely go through walls.

Get a handgun for home defense and use good ammunition designed for defense.

Sorry the blanket was behind The wall. And I do have a hand gun, 40cal or so said. I also hand load and have tried light 155 gr XTP and 5 other hollow points and various other store bought ammo. Tried my wife's 380, 22 ruger. All went through the wall intact more than the 40 gr Vmax.

Try the Barnes varmint grenade bullets there frangible no lead core at all compressed copper dust or something similar there should be no fragments large enough to penetrate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.