223 rem / 70 gr berger vld / 1:9 twist

Elk868

hello all
i would Need a load for 223 rem . wanted to go with 70 grain berger vld bullets .
my Twist rate is 1:9 . can you help me please with some suggestions
thanks very much

almost all reload books have data for 69 grain smk bullets --start with that data

Ive not shot the berger bullets but my rifle does shoot the 69 smk and nosler CC bullets well with varget

almost all reload books have data for 69 grain smk bullets --start with that data

Ive not shot the berger bullets but my rifle does shoot the 69 smk and nosler CC bullets well with varget
thank you very much - i opened quick load already and looked at varget already - Looks good for me . i will take Closer look on that
thank you very much

hello all
i would Need a load for 223 rem . wanted to go with 70 grain berger vld bullets .
thanks very much
23.2 grains IMR 8208XBR pushing 69 grain SMKs shoot cloverleafs out of mine.

hello all
thanks very much
I have used 70 gr. bergers for several years and 24.5 of varget has been very good load . you will have to adjust for your gun . .005 off lands with this load for mine. Another rifle I have tried accurate LT-32 with excellent results. this particular rifle likes bullets in the rifling.

1:9 twist is the absolute minimum to shoot a 70 gr bullet. Don't try to shoot any heavier, for sure.
Don't they have make a bullet loner in order to make it heavier? I'm not an expert, just asking.
I have a 1:9 on my .223 and haven't had much luck with anything bigger than 62 grain. Will soon have a 1:8 or 1:7.

Assuming the shape is the same, yes, but bullets come in many different shapes these days.

Weight has nothing to do with twist rate guys. It's length of projectile. So pay attention to that. A 69gr SMK is .900 long a Berger 70gr VLD is .96 a 68gr bthp from Hornady is .981. These are examples of the difference.

Good examples. Also, the 69gr SMK is about as long as one can go in a standard magazine. ~2.26" OACL

Berger has a handy twist rate calculator here;

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

I have a T3 lite .223 Rem. With a 1:8 twist and I load 25.0 grains of Varget with 69gr SMK at mag length, and have shot that out to 650 yards with great accuracy and very reliable on game even Whitetail out to 200 yards. I would love to try the new Accbound or a Berger VLD. Please let us know how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts