223 Loads using TAC and 75gr Hornady HPBT, pet loads requested

dgthomp

Hello,

Any of you have any pet loads using TAC powder under the Hornady 75gr HPBT Match?

Currently loading using Win Brass and CCI 450 SRM primers (due to cup being thicker). I see what the book loading says, but I'm looking for pet loads which have performed well for others at 600 yds. and under.

I had decent luck using 4064, but, went with TAC to gain some space in the case and due to availability. Rifle is 1:7 twist, 22", bolt n' barrel nut variety.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

9" twist dpms for the rifle

24 gr tac with the 75 hpbt hdy (or priv partisan 75 hpbt)and cci milspec sr lighting the fire in lc brass.... one of the few cci primers I use regularly... shoots well to 1/4 mile or so offhand with peep sights

I'd rather use 23 gr h4895 with the above bullet/primer/brass, but I've been burning the tac to save my h4895.... btw., my bbl. didn't like 4064 with the 75's at all.... go figure

Thanks Lefty,
I didn't have much luck with 4064 either until I drove the bullet up to the lands at full magazine length (2.362in COL in this case). Feeding them @ this length isn't the nicest though, in another action maybe, but the way the savage feeds, they hang/catch a little too often, gotta finesse the rounds into the chamber. The bullet catches the ogive on the sharp edge of the chamber due to the length of the round. They printed .5 MOA, but I think there's more to be had if I can find the magic combo. There might be a way to smooth the chamber entrance too, but that's not a place I've gone yet...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.