.223 explosion!

budlight

I sold my buddy a 20 in SS spiral fluted 8:1 in 223 and he put it all together. He didn't think that 55 gr fmj's grouped very well so he decided to go straight to 80 gr. He doesn't drink so he doesn't have that excuse. But he failed to change his dillion 650 loader to less grains and he proceeded to load away with 27.5 grains of CFE 223. He went to shoot and it's 90 degrees here.
He set up his shooting bench and boom..... it blew the magazine off the bottom of the lower!

I told him that it too bad that he didn't have his Chrono going and maybe just a new bolt and smash the lower back down to correct size in a vice and he's good to go :)

Comparing it to his other AR

AR-15.jpg

Last edited:
I sold my buddy a 20 in SS spiral fluted 8:1 in 223 and he put it all together. He didn't think that 55 gr fmj's grouped very well so he decided to go straight to 80 gr. He doesn't drink so he doesn't have that excuse. But he failed to change his dillion 650 loader to less grains and he proceeded to load away with 27.5 grains of CFE 223. He went to shoot and it's 90 degrees here.
He set up his shooting bench and boom..... it blew the magazine off the bottom of the lower!

I told him that it too bad that he didn't have his Chrono going and maybe just a new bolt and smash the lower back down to correct size in a vice and he's good to go :)

View attachment 375230
I hope he is okay. It can happen to any of us if we get distracted or break Protocol. It happened to me with a 6.5 Creedmoor and Superformance by getting distracted by wife a n d dog..Destroyed my rifle. All I got was fragments in my face.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-214630_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-214630_Gallery.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 381

View attachment 375230
Pull the barrel off throw the rest away

I loaded 7mm mag with 162 grain bullets and 54 grains of Buffalo Rifle, figuring that Shooter's World wouldn't recommend using it for a reduced load which would blow up the gun using less than 60% case capacity...but then I thought twice about it...decided I'd better do a ladder test first. Max for 30/06 is 38, so I guess I'll start there...I sure do with they'd publish some data...