.223 and the ELD match disaster

gj

Well after 3 weeks of constant 10-20 mile an hour wind ,,, finally a calm morning ! Hit the range with my colt 1-8 16" my 1-9 20" my 1-9 24" and the 73 grain Eld match loads ....

The 1-8 was not good groups ! Just under 1-3/8 " five shot @100.4 yards

The 1-9 20" had BAD groups

And the 1-9 24" had HORRIFIC groups...

This bullet i am guessing is going to need a 1-7 twist if it is going to shine !

Wish now i had taken out my 3,,, 1-7 16" ARs

OH WELL next time !

Try 69 gr MKs

The eld-x is going to be very seating depth sensitive as it is a secant ogive bullet. The berger seating depth test may find your magic combination.

Try 69 gr MKs

The eld-x is going to be very seating depth sensitive as it is a secant ogive bullet. The berger seating depth test may find your magic combination.

Thank you, rcoody, but .

73 grain ELD - M

Are AR-15 mag length loadable .
Sad thing is i ordered 500 of these 73 ELD match ....
I kinda gotta make em work if i can.....

Thank you, but

73 grain ELD - M
Are AR-15 mag length loadable .
Sad thing is i ordered 500 of these 73 ELD match ....
I kinda gotta make em work if i can.....

Oh yes they are.mag.length loadable.but what seating.depths have you tried.so far. You can go from 2.26 or.maybe a little longer down to powder compression or when the bullet is not fully seated in the neck any more. I wouldn't just.try at.mag length and if it doesn't work give up.

Oh yes they are.mag.length loadable.but what seating.depths have you tried.so far. You can go from 2.26 or.maybe a little longer down to powder compression or when the bullet is not fully seated in the neck any more. I wouldn't just.try at.mag length and if it doesn't work give up.

seated 2.55
the 1-9 twist will never work..... talking 4moa @100 to much to recover from....

1-8 16"a big maybe.

Just at compressed with a seating of 2.55
I am thinking 2.26 would be compressed pretty good.

using 23 grains of WW-748

I will take the 1-8 back out,,, plus i am taking my DD 1-7 16"
and a PSA non floated 1-7 16"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts