Colt ar .223 handloading and coal

rogerstv

Posted in the reloading section. Suggestion was made to post here too. Appears the rules allow for duplicate posts. Seeking anyone with experience in this field especially those who have measured their length to the rifling in their AR (Colt AR preferably).

I recently purchased the OAL gauge and bullet comparator. While checking my Colt AR, I came up with extremely lengthy measurements. Max COAL of .223 Rem is 2.26".

Hornady 53 gr. Match HP 2.439
Hornady 55 gr. VMax 2.3375
Sierra 50 gr. Spitzer 2.339
Nosler 53 gr. Varmageddon 2.48
Nosler 80 gr. Custom Competition 2.533

My plan is to handload seeking the bullet jump that this firearm prefers. Hornady recommends 0.020 to 0.040. I loaded and shot most of the above bullets using a COAL measurement of slightly under the max. This was before I bought the gauge. My rifle preferred the Varmageddon which is the bullet I want to refine.

Using my measurements above, the Varmageddon is jumping 0.22+ inches. Is this normal for an AR? I called Colt. The CS Rep appeared to have no idea regarding the subject.

I posted in other section. Normal to not be able to reach lands in an off the shelf AR at mag length...for suggestions, see my reply to your other post

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.