223 ai

LongRangeJunkie

I am considering rebarreling a 223 bolt action to 223 AI for long range/varmint shooting. I am looking for information on barrel length and bullet weight to optimize performance of this caliber/bullet. I have a stock that will fit a No 5 contour or Light to Med Palma so heavier barrels are out of the question.

I prefer a Sendero/Varmint contour barrel. And the barrel channels on stocks can always be opened up to accept larger barrels. It's not a difficult task, any gunsmith can do it.

As for barrel length, that's a tough call. A 20-26" barrel would not be excessive. I would go 26" personally, mainly because you specifically mentioned LR shooting and varmint hunting, so you won't be toting it around a lot.

I've done a little, not much, research on this topic for a 223 and velocity returns diminish after 30in, I'd imagine the AI would get ya an extra inch of useful barrel. So if you don't want to run it that long just pick your poison anywhere below, personally I'd go 24-28".

I purchase the stock (B&C) from Stocky's some time ago, so I called and asked them how large a contour I could safely open it up too, considering it is a sporter contour channel. Not sure I should go against their advice.

I am not apposed to 24-26" barrel length, but doesn't that coincide with the powder charge to efficiently burn and bullet weight to propel optimally?

Any input on most capable/efficient bullet weight for the 223 ai in a 24-26" barrel. I do not want to go below 2850 FPS, prefer to stay closer to 3000 if possible with a heavier bullet than 55-60 grain?

I purchase the stock (B&C) from Stocky's some time ago, so I called and asked them how large a contour I could safely open it up too, considering it is a sporter contour channel. Not sure I should go against their advice.

I am not apposed to 24-26" barrel length, but doesn't that coincide with the powder charge to efficiently burn and bullet weight to propel optimally?

Any input on most capable/efficient bullet weight for the 223 ai in a 24-26" barrel. I do not want to go below 2850 FPS, prefer to stay closer to 3000 if possible with a heavier bullet than 55-60 grain?

People will also tell you that you can't put a heavy barreled action into a B&C Medalist Classic stock because the forearm is too thin... I proved that theory wrong 2 years ago... There's stil enough material on the sides of the stock for a Sendero/Rem Varmint contour barrel to be 100% free-floated, and the stock is still rigid enough it will not contact the barrel during normal hunting/shooting situations. It will only contact the barrel if excessive force is purposely placed on it.

76DEEAA5-9517-4C24-9E4B-B53FF8B07ED5_zpskqjszfir.jpg

As for barrel length, the negatives will be less detrimental than you think. They will still exist, but they will not be overly exacerbated by a few extra inches of barrel.

As for bullet weight, 77 grain bullets would be a good combination of weight/velocity. Varget powder, if you can find it, or CFE223 powder.

That is all good to know. I guess I should have asked some question on here before my last rebarrel/cartridge change. I purchase another B&C and had a #5 contour barrel installed based on what Stocky's told me. After cutting the channel out, I thought to myself this sure did not take much out and probably could have gone to a heavier contour, but again I was going by what Stocky's told me.

The factory barrel is 22" and I had all intention of going longer, but I did not know enough to decide on how long I should go and get all I wanted out of the 223 ai round. I do not want a bull barrel but wanted heavier than a #5 contour and now I know I can.

I am fairly new to all this, even though I have been a member here for years (more reading, admiring and wishing than actions........all because of finances). Now I am trying to take what I have and improving without going to a full blown custom, until I am competent enough to justify such an expense.

Thanks for all the good info.

I've got a new barrel on it's way right now for this very purpose. Bought a stock Rem 700 .223 with a 1:12 barrel a few months ago and have had fun shooting factory 50g bullets. But the new 1:8 is a RemVarm contour, will finish around 26", be threaded for a suppressor, and shoot 75g Amax's at roughly 3000fps. I shoot with a few guys that have gone this route recently and their guns are a ton of fun to shoot so I can't wait to get mine rebuilt.

Thanks...........sounds like it will be a great project for me. I use my 223 to shoot hogs (head shots drop them in their tracks) in citrus groves I managed in FL (and a few coyotes). It has been sitting in the closet for a few years collecting dust since I changed job.

I have a an old college buddy I ran into who goes west to hunt prairie dogs with his friends and I am going to tag along once I get my project done.

I am glad you mentioned twist rate because that was a question I failed to ask about with the heavier bullets.

I'm running a 18" bartlein m24 contour barrel on a trued up Remington 700, built by Meredith rifles. I'm shooting a 75 amax 2920 fps with 26.5 gr varget and cci magnum primers. Awesome little rifle..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.