223 65gr Sierra Game King

My 224 Valkyrie loves the 65 SGKs. I may try it on other things besides coyotes.

Liberator,
I'm sure that would a very good idea, but... I'm thinking your barrel twist might not like the 65gr'..., every time I got over 1-9 twist it started giving up a little accuracy.

My tube is 1-6.5 but still slings the 65SGKs into less than an inch. Some into .600 in. if my old eyes aren't fogged up. Don't have a crony though. May not be going all that fast.

Shot two whitetail with them with good results although no blood trail, ran about 80 yds. I also shot 4 coyote with the 55 gr gameking, all 4 were bang flop. I am getting 2940 fps out of a 20" barrel with the 65's and 3100 fps with the 55's. By the way there was no visible damage on entry or exit on the coyote. I would say 1/2" -1" groups @ 100 yds.

Hey fellas I just ordered some 64gr Nosler Bonded and 55gr Etips and my smith is just finishing up with my 223AI. Ill keep you posted.

My tube is 1-6.5 but still slings the 65SGKs into less than an inch. Some into .600 in. if my old eyes aren't fogged up. Don't have a crony though. May not be going all that fast.

Liberator,
Interesting, I never did well with anything tighter than 1-9 twist. In fact, a few of the rifles I had they wouldn't shoot well in was my HK-630... I think if memory serves me right it was a 1-12 twist, the other was my .223 LR 1k rifle 27.5" barrel with a 1-8 twist, oh wait'.., I put them through my Wby Varmintmaster in .224 Wby Mag 1-14 twist once, hell I might as well throw the bullets at the target by the handful. With all that said; I put them in my 1-9 & 1-10 guns they are tack drivers.

Federal used to factory load a 85gr Game King BTHP for .243 Win. It was like Thor's hammer on deer.
Why they discontinued it is a mystery.
Great round.

I understand this is an old thread but will the Barnes 70g fit in the mag and still manage the typically needed .055 ish jump to the lands?

I understand this is an old thread but will the Barnes 70g fit in the mag and still manage the typically needed .055 ish jump to the lands?
Ya they fit. When this thread was more active I was actually using the Barnes factory ammo with the 70 gr tsx. These days I handload 63gr absolute hammers.

Recent Posts