180gr Sierra Gamekings from 308win for deer at 50 - 200m?

If I separate the spine/wind pipe im sure the animal will die faster than shooting it through the vitals. the only catch is that you have to be accurate unlike one guy's response where he was hunting deer with a 45-70 and shot a deer in the spine but it wasn't right on and the deer tried to get back up so he had to shoot it again with a 243. I am told by guys that hunt deer with a 223 that they do neck shots all the time and it drops the deer where it was standing.

If I separate the spine/wind pipe im sure the animal will die faster than shooting it through the vitals. the only catch is that you have to be accurate unlike one guy's response where he was hunting deer with a 45-70 and shot a deer in the spine but it wasn't right on and the deer tried to get back up so he had to shoot it again with a 243. I am told by guys that hunt deer with a 223 that they do neck shots all the time and it drops the deer where it was standing.

gotcha, I only shoot to the boiler room on deer, I like the margin for error, especially if I have to shoot longer distance, but I see where you are coming from. That's why I go with 168-180gr bullets for my .308

gotcha, I only shoot to the boiler room on deer, I like the margin for error, especially if I have to shoot longer distance, but I see where you are coming from. That's why I go with 168-180gr bullets for my .308

+1 on that brother

emn83, what 168-180gr projectiles are you using for hunting? I've found the 180gr premiums to be too hard at 308 velocities and hence my experiment with the Sierra Gamekings.

I used the GameKing for a long time with my .3006 and had good luck at close range(50 to 70 yards) but when I went to the 150 gr SSTs, when I hit the lungs they turned to jello.
Just one big clot, the Deer never ran. I have never shot a Deer with my .308 but I have no doubts about the damage they can do. If I crank up the FPS on my load, I question the results, so I keep them slower.
But as for the GameKings they have worked great, even at 180grs, give the 165s a chance also.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.