220 Swift ammo/ loading issues

venatic

I have a Remington 700 in 220 Swift that is giving me fits.
I loaded moderate loads and primers were either smashed flat or actually leaked around edges. Tried factory same results.
Thought is was headspace issues and had gunsmith set shoulder back thinking that would solve issues. Fired three rounds yesterday two had slightly backed out primers and one leaked around edge so no change..... I have never messed with Swift and while I have reloaded ammo for 43 years but haven't seen this one.
Could it be it's headspacing off rim and it's cut too loose? I am just making guesses at this point.
I thought I could just seat bullet out to hold in place but throat is WAY to long for that.

Anybody seen similar?

If primers are flattening on mild loads, then it sounds like excessive headspace to me.
When you say "had the gunsmith set shoulder back", does that mean in the rifle or on the brass? I am confused as to what you mean.

Cheers.

Although the 220 Swift is a Semi-Rimmed case it is still head-spaced off the shoulder just like the majority of Rimless cases.
I have been loading for a Ruger M77 Swift since the 1970s and have never come across what you are describing.
Just like MagnumMania I am rather confused.

Scratching my head on this one also ,40+ yrs Swift shooter here also ,Remington Swifts are usually fantastic shooters , this don't add up ,What says your gunsmith?

Sorry should have worded differently. gunsmith shortened headspace by setting barrel back slightly...
IIRC .003 back. Seems it's still too long based on what y'all are saying. I will try the add a piece of scotch tape to case head and see if it still chambers.

Might be chamber cast time. Also can measure the fired brass base to shoulder with a comparator and see how far the shoulder is blowing forward. Will the fired cases hold a new primer or are the pockets shot after 1 firing? Weird issue for sure.

If you have primer protruding on fired cases your brass is short for your chamber. Not fully fire formed and your load is light. Take a few cases and increase your powder charge if the fired cases chamber easily size them but don't push the shoulder back,load and fire again and see how it does. Hope this helps.

Just noticed another questionable issue. The outside neck after firing mic's .260 and then .250 after running through my sizer set to just size neck. That seems excessive but maybe not?