220 swift load suggestions

wildcat

Hey guys, I just received my new 220 swift and I would like some load suggestions for a 55grn V-MAX or 55grn Berger MEF bullet. I went out this weekend and shot some groups with 50grn V-MAX and was impressed with the groups it shot with this bullet. My first three shots, at 100 yards, measured .139 and the second three shot group, at 100 yards, measured .110. I was pretty happy with this bullet. However, I would like to use 55grn V-MAX or 55grn Berger MEF. I would like to have a little extra weight to buck the wind at longer ranges. I will be using H380 powder, 210 Match primers and Norma Brass. This rifle is being used as a dedicated varmint rig for ranges out to 600 yards. The rifle is set up as follows; Remington Action trued, inside a Speedy Gonzalez Sleeve, blue printed to a Lilja 27" 1/14 twist .930 at muzzel with Holland Brake, pillar bedded into a McMillan A-4 Stock, Jewell trigger set at 8oz, Kelby rings topped with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS. I would like to get some suggestions from those of you who shoot the 220 swift with 55grn V-MAX or 55grn Berger MEF. I would like to hear what you guys think about these bullets and if it is worth the time and effort to test them scence the 50grn V-MAX shot so well. Thanks for your suggestions!! and yes the rifle is heavy, about 17lbs, and with the brake the rifle does not even move.

Wildcat-

About 30 years ago I used a load that I found in period reloading book. It was 43.5 grains of IMR-4350 with either a 52 or 53 grain bullet. I nearly always used the Sierra 53gr HPBT bullet but worked fine with all bullets in the weight range. I always got groups in the 1/4" size no matter what Swift I used, including the Remington 700 that I have today. You may want to drop it a half grain or so for the 55 grain bullet, but it sure a winner for me.

wildcat, sounds like a really nice shootin iron. A good load for the swift would be between 43.5 and 44.5 grains of Ramshot Hunter with that 55 grain bullet. A 1 in 12 twist might shoot the 55 better, but with the velocity you will get, the 14 should work ok. Good shooting....
Jim

I shoot VV-N160 with the 55 grain Baltip in a Douglas barrel 1-12 twist 27". IMR-4831 works real well also. H-380 was slower and I had temp/pressure problems with H-380.
Y'our gonna love that Swift!!

My ruger Target swift loves 55g btips with the old standby of IMR-4064. 38g produces right at 3925fps and gives me .3" 3 shot groups at 100, and right at 5 inch groups at 525 yards. My swift also shoots 40g btips and 50g vmaxes under .25", but I like the 55g bullet for all around use.

I shoot the 55gr BTs almost exclusively out of my Swift (though I have also had great luck w/ the 50gr V-max). My favorite powder for these is VV N540 at 41gr. This a pretty warm load but it is my most consistent for getting down under .5". This load clocks at 4060 fps out of a 26" 1-14 twist barrel. I also have some good loads worked up for Varget and RL15.

wildcat,
I tried to find a post I made before on this exact topic but could not find it ,but I have shot a swift more than any other gun I own and H380 is not the powder for a swift,one day it will shoot one hole groups but add 15degree's and you will be opening your bolt with a ballpeen hammer. H380 is great 22-250 powder but for some reason is more temp sensitive in a swift. my gun loves 41.5grn's 760 with 55gr BT's. but swift's are finiky yours might like H414,4350,N160,RL15 etc. my point is if you have your heart set on H380 it is a good thing for the speedy sleeve to keep it from coming apart.
UB

wildcat,
One more thing, I noticed you are using Norma brass. it is the only brass to use in a swift. with Win brass my neck's would thicken with each re-load and my Norma brass never has plus the primer pockets stay tight much longer.
UB

UncleB, it was probably my post that you answered. I asked this question about four months ago and I could not find the info. I was thinking of using Vihtavouri N-160. I use VV-N165 for my 6.5x284, and I love it. What do you think about using that powder. Freebore, indicated that he used VV-N160 in his Swift but he did not give any load data. Freebore, if you are reading this post could you give me some info. Thanks guys for your help! and by the way I love the Swift. I feel it is by far the best 22 caliber varmint round.

wildcat,
I'm running 44.0 grns of N160 w/BR-2 primer and WW cases, .007 off the lands, runs 3950 and shoots .2 for me at 100. I WILL be going to Norma brass here shortly as this WW does require trimming every other loading, my neck wall thickness has been fine for now. My son and I just fired the 50 rounds of 69's (40.0 RL-22) I had loaded yesterday before the snows showed, windy also. We killed mild jugs out 450 to 700. What a blast. We also shot his new 25-06 and it was the first time he shot it and was busting the jugs out at 575 with a 3x9 Burris with the Ballistic plex reticle,couldn't go to 700 'cause I only had 13 brass for it(oh to have young eyes again). I was shooting my 308 Hammonds (30/8mm)too.
I really like the Swift, I did not shoot the 55's yesterday but always use these loads/cartridge when I go to Wy for praire dogs. I have a 22-250 in a Ruger#1 that took 2 years to develop a load to hit PD's at a distance but that round dies after 500 for me in that rifle.
I had used IMR4831 in the Swift, shot well but could not get the 3900fps I was looking for, thats when I went to the VV-160...velocity attained w/accuracy!
My rifle is a Sharp Shooters Supply (Savage action) 27" Douglas barrel, 8x32 Burris on top.

Before my swift was an AI version I used 39gr of RL-15 with the 55gr V-max, 52 A-max, and 55 Nosler BT work well also. Velocity was in the high 3900's. Barrel is a 16 twist so you will be fine with 55gr bullets. The most acurate load was with sierra 55gr FMJ-BT.

Freebore, well I just got back from the range. I tested some loads today and I was not happy with the outcome. I shot three diferent loads with the 55grn V-MAX, H4350 and 210M primers. My first 4 shot group with 42.5 grns H4350 at 100 yards measured .576, the second 4 shot group with 43 grns H4350 measured .556 and my last 4 shot group with 43.5 grns H4350 measured .433. As you can see not bad, but not the type of groups I know this rifle can shoot. I've been told, by many, the 220 Swift loves 40grn bullets when the twist rate is 1/14. I did get better results with my lighter 50grn V-MAX with 43 grns of H380. That 4 shot group measured .139. I decided to pick up some 40grn Nosler Balistic tips at the local gun shop, however, they were out of them, but they had some special 220 swift Varmint Winchester factory ammo loaded up with the 40 grn nosler ballistic tips. I forgot what the box of ammo was called. The ammo was nikel plated and the bullet used was the balistic tips. The ballistic tips were black with a silver tip. Anyway, they were 40 grn bullets so I decided to see how they shot even though they were factory rounds. Here is the kicker, these factory bullets with the 40grn Ballistic Tips gave me my best group yet. I shot two 4 shot groups at 100 yards. My first group measuered .126 and the second group measured .116. I was impressed, so I decided to take a couple of shots at some ground squrriles at over 400 yards. I took 5 shoots and hit three varmints over 400 yards, with a slight wind. I could not believe how well they worked, so I think I am going to try 40 grn Ballsitic tips with H414. I heard that H414 is a better powder to use in the swift. I still can't believe factory loads have given me best groups so far. I due everything to my brass, clean primer pockets, clean flash holes, check for run out, trim, weigh ect. To get groups like that with factory loads makes me wonder if all the time and effort is worth it. I still think it is, I mean that is why I love this hobby. I think my handloads are going to be better and they are going to give me tighter groups, I hope!!!! I am looking foward to testing the 40 grn Ballistic Tips. I think my barrel, 1/14, might just favor the smaller bullets. Well, if anybody has any suggetsions on 40 grn loads, I would like to her all of your opinions. I am going to place an order on Tuesday, so I can load and possibly test this weekend. Thanks, Wildcat

I used H-380, and RL-15 with the 40g btips. The max loads in the nosler book were accurate. .3" groups at 100 yards out of my ruger target. I currently am shooting the 40g vlc with h-380 at 4500fps. They are grouping in the .3's as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts