22 Hornet???

MasonG

What are the pros/cons of the 22 Hornet? I know a lot of people shoot them but I don't often hear why they do. I know its a short range caliber but what is the max effective range for groundhogs and foxes? And does anyone have any experience with a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet?

I have a hornet in the model 77. It has always been a favorite of mine.
Easy round to load for and a blast to shoot squirrels and jack rabbits with. I've
Murdered many coyotes with the hornet as well. I've always shot Calhoun 42 grain double hollow points in mine with IMR 4227 and Remington 7 1/2 primers

To me, about the only thing to like about the Hornet is the fact that it is the "quietest" centerfire rifle round out there. That's the only reason I own one, and the Savage 25 rifle it's chambered in is barely tolerable. Had mine at a range in a 5 mph wind recently and was shocked by how much the Hornets blew around. Much prefer the .221 Fireball for its accuracy and reload-ability in a small round; but louder than the .22H for shooting near built-up areas.
As for the Ruger: the older ones are notoriously inaccurate, mainly due to the two-piece bolt. A C-Z (or Browning Micro if you can find one) is the only way to go in a Hornet, IMO.

I own a tc contender super 16 barrel chambered in a 22 hornet. It's the prefect dispatch firearm for my trap line. Being a short bbl, it doesn't have the down range performance but, it's deadly accurate with sierra 40 gr's and win 296 powder.

I have a TC Contender pistol in 22Hornet.

Yup, quiet.
Yup, fun.
Yup, not long range.
Yup, accuracy of the round is very fine.
Yup, 77/22H (newer) is very nice for the price.

Yup, everyone should have one.

yup, I'm getting silly.

Thanks for the replies guy. I didn't buy that particular gun but I may have to pick one up soon. I like the idea of a short barreled, short range but accurate, and quiet groundhog rifle.

I have a New England H&R 22 Hornet I rechambered it to a K Hornet.with 13 g Lil gun and a 45g hp it goes 3000fps that is pushing my 223s. I wish I had a CZ in 22 hornet

A good friend of mine has a couple of Hornets. He had issues with crushing the cases, which is easy to do with the thin-walled Hornet brass. He also never really got what he considered to be outstanding accuracy from his Hornets. He had one of his rifles re-chambered to K-Hornet and is a lot happier with that version.

In practical terms, though, the only reason I can see to own one is if you just like 'em. Otherwise, there is nothing a Hornet does that cannot be duplicated with a downloaded .223. A good quality bolt action rifle in .223, with an 8 or 9 twist, is much more versatile and a lot less trouble to load for.

But, if you want a Hornet just because, you don't really need another reason, IMO. Fun is the name of the game, after all...

I have a older Kimber Mdl 82 22 Hornet. I never became fond of the long tapered thin walled 22 Hornet case or the case head spacing on the rim. After getting a Rem 221 Fireball rifle I stopped using the Hornet. This year I got a 17 Hornet CZ 527 Varmint rifle which shoots 1/2 inch 100 yard groups using Hornady 20 grain bullet ammo. The largest critters Iv shot with the 17 are prairie dogs. The 20 grain bullet has plenty for taking p dogs at 275 yards . Should I get a shot at a yote within 125 yards Id take it.

Ive got a CZ 527 in 22 hornet and the gun flat out shoots...I can hit golf balls at 150 yds with regularity. My pet load os 11.6 gns of A1680 and a nosler 40 gn ballistic tip humming around 2650 fps. Ive taken 3 whistlepigs with it from ranges of 100-120 yds, and all resulted in DRT. The nosler really shreds the internals. I'd recommend the CZ if you're wanting to get one. Definitely fills a niche between 22 mag and .223

I never cared too much for the hornet because of the tappered case but after chambering it to K hornet it came alive, the cases don't stretch and the extra 200 fps is nice with lil gun powder. I have played around with lite loads and with just a Mag primer and a 22 pellet it is like a pellet gun.

My wife and my 6 year old daughter enjoy shooting my 22 Hornet Savage M25 Walking Varminter. At 100 yards it slaps the gong nicely and blows a gallon jug full of water up violently without lots of recoil or report. It makes my girls happy so that makes me happy.

Jay

i have a very nice 22K Hornet Cooper. The only thing I do not like is the lack of premium brass like Lapua.

I have ZKW 465 Brno in 22K Hornet with 13.2 grn of Lil-Gun ( when we can get it waiting on another import ) and 36grn Barnes VG it's doing around the 3150 fps - 3200 fps. It's great on rabbits and foxes and have no problems out to 200 - 250 yards with it.
The hornet is one of those cartridges that just keeps going on and on everything from a 17 Ackley to the 22 K.