22 Hornet???

I have ZKW 465 Brno in 22K Hornet with 13.2 grn of Lil-Gun ( when we can get it waiting on another import ) and 36grn Barnes VG it's doing around the 3150 fps - 3200 fps. It's great on rabbits and foxes and have no problems out to 200 - 250 yards with it.
The hornet is one of those cartridges that just keeps going on and on everything from a 17 Ackley to the 22 K.
I have been working to best the Hornet without going to a 222/223 based case design. I want something I can load those same 36 grain VGs at low velocities for 22 like performance or at optimal velocity for varmints.

Can't do it.

Live on 22 Hornetgun)

I never cared too much for the hornet because of the tappered case but after chambering it to K hornet it came alive, the cases don't stretch and the extra 200 fps is nice with lil gun powder. I have played around with lite loads and with just a Mag primer and a 22 pellet it is like a pellet gun.

+1

Each cartridge has it's strong points and it's weak points . The 22 hornet is a great little round
and very popular for one reason, accurate and quite.

I prefer the K hornet also and have a 1885 low wall chambered for it. brass is a little thin/delicate
and the K Hornet extended the case life.

There is always a more powerful cartridge that will out perform something, so it's just a matter
of what you want or need.

J E CUSTOM

I know a a few guys over here that have run Trail Boss in there CF for reduced speeds but never heard it used in a hornet.
It maybe easier if you want to run 22 RF speed maybe just us a 22 RF

I know a a few guys over here that have run Trail Boss in there CF for reduced speeds but never heard it used in a hornet.

+1
Except that 22 RF ammo Is harder to get over hear than components for the Hornets.

When we could get primed Rim fire cases it was not a problem, no where can I find any primed RF cases anymore, so the Hornet is a great substitute and fairly cheep to load.

I have not tried Trail Boss but will keep that In mind. The Lil Gun works so well in the K Hornet
and If I find loaded ammo at a really good price I can use it for hunting and at the same time fire form it to the K Hornet.

J E CUSTOM

In California we have to use non-lead bullets. CCI lead free 22LR is "out of stock" forever.

I/we want 2 things, inexpensive and 22LR performance parameters. I have a Contender barrel in 22 Hornet, may get a Ruger 77/22 in Hornet. Loading "reduced" Trailboss loads or similar methods, If I can get a 50 yard zero with 6 to 8" delta to 100 yards, perfect. Of course to stretch it out farther standard loads.

I've obtained some brass, dies and lead free bullets for the 5,7x28FN. The FN is a modern design but the performance is pretty identical to the Hornet. No improvement there except case design. I have to decide what to barrel for it, Contender or Ruger. Savage and others have all dropped their 5,7x28FN offerings and gone with Hornet.

i have a very nice 22K Hornet Cooper. The only thing I do not like is the lack of premium brass like Lapua.
That may be about to change. Fwiw, there's a guy over on saubier.com who is claiming to be preparing to import RWS brass for .22 Hornet and was taking orders. Don't have time now to look up the thread from a month or so ago, but would hazard a guess that, if their brass is as good as their rimfire ammo, it may be worth one's time to hunt the poster down (I'm sorry this senior can't remember his handle. :rolleyes:)

RWS brass is very good.
We use to be able to get RWS hornet brass here but haven't seen in years same as Sako hornet brass.
Myself I have found the Hornady brass to be good. The only issue I have found with it is after fire forming then resizing, I have found the flash hole to small for the decapping pin in my RCBS and Redding dies.
So I have to drill out the flash hole slightly then push the primer out then deburr the flash hole.

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .22Hornet. I cant believe the tales of inaccuracy and quietness! I shoot Hornady V-Max 35 gr. off the shelf and have 3/4" grouping @ 180 yd. I have not had a chance to shoot a 17 Hornet but do have a 17 hmr (which I think was a waste of money if you own a .22 mag.) & maybe it has something to do with Browning but that thing is quit a bit louder than my Smith 686 in 357 Mag! ......& those shells arent fugly ...there lil offspring of the 300 H & H Mag :) So my Hornet ....I believe " Cold Dead Hands" is the saying!

i have one in a 10'' HB TC Contender... lt has an old 4x Simmons pistol scope... May take on a PD chuut… 35gr VMAX should fly and produce a good 'POP' inside 100yds... IMR4227 works best for me.. Not as fast as the BALL pdrs, more accurate for me tho. l use 'standard' small pistol primers...

I have the 77/22 and like it. When I first got it it would shoot 3" groups. Problem was the bolt is 2 piece and sloppy. I shimmed between the bolt halves .005" and it is a tack driver. I killed fox at 200 with it no problem. I use the Hornady 35 gr NTX @ 3000 fps. I bought the shims from a guy in AZ but cant remember his name, sorry.
Ken

The bolt shims transform the Ruger 77/22 into the accurate rifle it should have been from the factory. Shims cost $11 for the four pack of various thickness. Best money you can spend on these rifles. Get them here:

I also favor the conversion to K-Hornet. Brass last longer & more velocity becomes available should you desire it.

Connecticut Precision Chambering does a great job turning the 77/22 Hornet into a super accurate varmint rifle. Killed many a groundhog, and a handful of coyotes with one Randy worked over. Money well spent.