22-284

Bob the nailer

This is the one of the most fun cartridges I have put together, flat shooting, low recoil and since it will be used for crows/ chucks, ect I'm not worried about smokin out the barrel too quickly. Load development took only about 15 rounds and H1000 was the powder of choice.

75 grain V-max @ 3500 fps, 1/2" groups at 230yards. I'll have time to push it out further once late fall/winter hits.

Attachments

• 100_3019.JPG
    100_3019.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_3039.JPG
    100_3039.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 100_3077.JPG
    100_3077.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 130
I ordered the stock with a blind bottom semi-inlet and little to no barrel channel. It came roughly cut and a little off center line, I put alot of time in to correct the inlet, install pillers and bed the action then shape it to my liking. I usually hand rub the finish on however this time I applied several layers of a high gloss poly finish.

What is your estimate on barrel life? How far do you think you can push your load (like easily a 1000 yard rifle)? Beautiful work on the stock!

Nice rifle. Curious about your bullet choice. If you intend to stretch the cartridge to it's limits (in terms of distance) why not shoot a 90grain pill? You certainly have the boiler room to get a heavy bullet going really fast.

Just started load development and went with a 75grain due to advice from Berger techs. With a 1-8 twist I can shoot the heavies, I have read varied barrel life as to how hot the load is. I did have the barrel cryo frozen ( 300 Below, inc) to slow throat erosion. Can't wait to dust a crow at 400yrds!!!:D

I wish I had access to some really long shots, only 400 max. around here.

With an 8 twist barrel, you can shoot bullets up to 80ish grains. You would need 7 twist to shoot the 90 grain pills. But with a max 400 yard shot the 75grainer will perform nicely.

Thanks to "ogallala_1" on the forums here, he really helped me out with some loads and ballistics along with how well the heavy pills shoot.

Thanks for all the comments, I have read that this cartridge will really smoke the lighter weight bullets too.:cool:

Guns & Ammo, August 1964, ran an article where they had a 15grain 22cal. bullet screaming at 6500fps!!! Don't see articles like that today.

I remember reading an article in American Rifleman on a 22-6mm A.I. build. Same fast twist with heavy pills, amazing cartridge indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.