.22-250 Groove # and twist

davkrat

I've searched for this and found some info on the twist rate I probably want but I have a question about the number of grooves. I was really looking into the Remington 700SPS Varmit in22-250 but the 1:14" twist just seems way too slow. I am not really interested in shooting 40gr. bullets 4000fps. I would really like to try the Berger 75gr. VLD with a listed BC of .447. I have read that some guns with a 14" twist "might" stabalize a 60gr. but I'm sure there is no way they would work with a long 75gr. VLD. At this point I think I'm going to go with a 26" heavy barrel with a 1:9" twist.

Now how many grooves? I read somewhere that the 3 groove barrels with fast twists can shred lighter bullets. I am really hoping to shoot the 55gr Ballistic Tips and the 75gr. VLD, the light and superfast bullets don't really interest me much.

So for 55-75 gr. bullets out of a .22-250, possibley a .22-250 Ackley, would you recomend a 3 or 5 groove 1:9" twist barrel? Or would you suggest something else?
Thanks

The 1-9 should be about right for what you want to shoot on the heavy end. The 55 gr Ballistic Tip will handle any barrel you drive it through so there is no real issue with that bullet.

The Bergers are very thin jacketed so land count is critical. I would recommend a 5 or 6 groove. Personally I would recommend a Lilja 1-9 6 groove but there are many 5 groove barrels out there as well.

A 3 groove will be very hard on the Berger bullets and will limit the velocity you will be able to achieve with your rifle. The 5-6 groove barrels will be much easier on bullets with thin jackets.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.