22-250 twist rates

Texas79423

I am thinking of getting a new accurate 22-250 for hunting critters at less than 200 yards. I will also do some bench shooting at the range. Which twist would you recommend.
As I understand it the 12-14 are for light 55 grain bullets running 3300 fps and subject to wind drift The 8-9 twist are for 68-75 grain bullets @ 150 fps slower with less wind drift.

I have a 17HMR, a Colt AR 15 1:7 twist 223, likes 68 grain and Rock River AR 1:9 twist 223 .

Are you going to be buying an over the counter factory rifle, or building a custom rifle? The reason I ask is because as far as I know there's no factory 22-250s with 1-8 or 1-9 twist barrels. In my opinion, if you're only going to be shooting 200 yards, then a 1-12 twist with 50-55s will be plenty.

You have to decide what's important to you and how you plan to shoot. If you think you'll want to shoot anything long range, I'd lean to and 8 or 9 twist for the heavier bullets. If 200 yards is your longest shot, stick with the slower twist and call it a day. I'm currently doing load work on a 22-250 AI with a 9 twist barrel. I'm using 75 grain sciroccos, and it looks promising so far.

There are also guys with 14 twist barrels getting close to 4000 fps with 40 grain flat base bullets out of 24 inch barrels. That is something you can't do with the 22 Nosler or 224 Valkyrie because you will never find a slow twist barrel in those chamberings.

Edit: At the yardage you are talking about, around 200, that zipper would be hard to beat.

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting a new accurate 22-250 for hunting critters at less than 200 yards. I will also do some bench shooting at the range. Which twist would you recommend.
As I understand it the 12-14 are for light 55 grain bullets running 3300 fps and subject to wind drift The 8-9 twist are for 68-75 grain bullets @ 150 fps slower with less wind drift.

I have a 17HMR, a Colt AR 15 1:7 twist 223, likes 68 grain and Rock River AR 1:9 twist 223 .
There is a nice Model 700 Varmint rifle listed in the classifieds.

You have to decide what's important to you and how you plan to shoot. If you think you'll want to shoot anything long range, I'd lean to and 8 or 9 twist for the heavier bullets. If 200 yards is your longest shot, stick with the slower twist and call it a day. I'm currently doing load work on a 22-250 AI with a 9 twist barrel. I'm using 75 grain sciroccos, and it looks promising so far.
I just launched a 30 grain Berger hp out of my 22-250 in front of a pile Varget. I expected nothing but a boom I was surprised when my 200 yard steel plate sang seemingly before I heard the rifle go off! Loaded 3 more to put on paper gotta get one across a crono. I'm not sure what I had them 30 grainers for prolly a hornet. I can't believe I hit anything with them. Benchmark 14 twist

I went 9 twist on mine in a light Palma profile, because it will shoot the light bullets fine but gives me the ability to shoot the 69 - 75 grainers as well. Luckily, it shoots the cheap 62 grain penetrators pretty well, ringing 10" steel at 500 yards without issue, but I can't say its a moa gun or better, since I haven't shot it enough. It is a pleasure to shoot, and very well balanced. It doesn't seem to care for the 77 grain Sierras, though.

Last edited:

What kind of "critters" are you going to be hunting with this rifle ? I know that the 22 centerfires are commonly used for deer in Texas, and if that's your plan you might want to go with the fast-twist/heavy bullet concept. It will still shoot light, short bullets OK, but a few of the ultra-lights might come unraveled in flight from the high rotational velocity. The fast-twist 22 centerfire is probably more versatile than the standard 1-in-14" twist, but for 50-55 grain bullets the old standby works great.

1/9" or if you find 1/8"
you can use bullet from 52 grainer until 75 grainers with a 1/8" barrel
my best shoot : bullet Match 69 gn / poxder VV N550- charge 31 gn / Savage 12 BVSS 1/8"
at 500 yards

I have a Savage FVSS with a 26" 1-12 twist that is death out to 470 yards (so far) on groundhogs. It'll shoot 55 grain Sierra Game Kings in tiny groups at 200 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.