22-250 drop

firstcoueswas80

hello, my dad will be carrying a remington 700 sps 22-250 on our pig hunt this weekend. the gun is sighted dead on at 100 yards with factory federal 55 gr partitions. if a shot comes up around 300-400 yards. i will be taking it. with the posted muzzle velocity that federal claims, what would the drop be between 300-400 yards?
thanks!
Casey

in my opinion, thats a dumb idea. Guesstimation holdover does not guarantee hits, and is not a good thing to do. Better thing to do is sight 2-3" high at 100, then all you have to do is hold on the back line. That would make a lot more sense. Just my opinion though.

Why not go to the range and find out rather than asking people who have no experience with your gun?? There is no substitute for shooting it to find out...not us, not a ballistics program (unless pre-calibrated with actual shootingn results from your gun).

With what you said, I will offer that the drop will be considerable. If you are after pigs, get closer or resight the rifle or test out to 400 yards.

i did not ask you guys to judge me and how i hunt and how i shoot. i asked a simple question for a few reasons: 1. i am in college and work full time, getting to the range every weekend is not really in my time fram. 2. the gun is my dads, and he has it sighted in 2 inches high at 100. 3. all i asked for was how much it will drop, i didnt ask to get your opnions of me and how i hunt or what ever. there are not a lot of places where i live ( flagstaff arizona) to go and shoot out to 300 and 400 yards. if i wanted to knwo your opnion of " hey, i have never shot this gun, tell me how to shoot it and where to aim" then i would have asked that. i asked, based on the velocity published, and knowing the model rifle, how much a bullet will drop at such distances. if you cant answer the question, keep your opnions and other crap to yourself and dont respond.

easy coues, they are answering with what they think you need to do, and I agree. But, like you said, it can be hard to go out and shoot when your schedule is really busy.

I checked on federal's website, and they don't even have factory 55gr partitions they only have 60's. THey also have ballistic charts on there for all their 22-250 bullets.

so check that out, I think that would help you, also sight in a couple inches high, that would help...

anyway, here's the link Federal ammo info

good luck this weekend, and let us know how you do..

well based on your first post, you stated it was dead on for 100 yards, so thats what i went by. now you say its 2" high at 100, that makes it a lot better suited for a 300-400 yard shot vs having it dead on at 100. no one shoots that far with a 100 yard zero unless you have come up clicks which you did not state. i was just simply stating you cant consistently hit something that far reliably enough and put the bullet where it needs to be with a 100 yard zero. the drop is just to much. there is another thing that needs to be assesed here since you stated you dont go and actually shoot to much at 300-400 yards. i dont know about you, but making a good shot is a must at longer ranges, if your not practicing regularly at the distance you intend to shoot at an animal, you dont really have any business shooting that far at animals. i myself practice a lot at 525, 800 yards and 1150 yards now. that dont mean i go out and shoot at animals 1150 yards away. it just makes a 500-600 shot a lot easier since you practicing farther then what you intend to actually shoot at a game animal. being able to hold dead on greatly increases your odds vs kentucky elevation. this is america and im entitled to my opinion based on your original post. i dont think anyone will advocate shooting 300-400 yards with a 100 yard zero as you first stated, especially if you dont know the exact velocity, and you dont really practice that distance a whole lot.

Anyways, here is your drop for a 100 yard zero. Not sure how you got 55g nosler partitions, only weight I know of is a 60g for .224". So maybe you got a magic box or something of 55g NP, but I doubt it. I entered 3500fps for the 60g NP with a BC of .228, zero at 100 yards, it will drop roughly 10 inches at 300 yards, and 24 inches at 400 yards. Now with a 2" high at 100 yards, that puts you dead on at about 245 yards, and you'll be 4 inches low at 300 and 16" low at 400. There is a great free ballistics calculator over at biggameinfo.com just so you know. You can plug in all the numbers for anything you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.