22/250 c.o.a.l.

tribb

Need help with 55 grain game king soft point boat tail c.o.a.l. suggestions . Book says 2.350 seems no where near lands grooves. This is a laye model vanguard 1/14" barrel. Bullets bearing surface is all most completely inside neck. Best I can tell only about 3/32" or less of bearing surface is outside neck. Any suggestions / help greatly appreciated thank you Tribb

Last edited:
Thanks man got the fat finger itus I reckon

Thanks man got the fat finger itus I reckon
Tribb -

Howdy !

For a magazine-fed application, max allowable c.o.a.l. will be dictated by the limits of clearance inside the magazine. And perhaps sometimes, if a certain cartridge o.a.l. exhibits feeding challenges in the action.

Beyond that, ideally..... you'd like to be able to reach the lands w/ the seated bullet..... or perhaps find the gun shoots best w/ the bullets a couple thousandths off the lands..... or sometimes even might find the gun shoots best w/ bullets seated out for a slight " jam ". Only one c.o.a.l. described above could possibly match the reloading book' spec. So.... I wouldn't let reloading book spec's dictate the c.o.a.l.

It was not immediately clear to me whether your cartridge's o.a.l. could be configured to reach the lands, of even to have the seated bullet reach within a couple 'thou of the lands .... by abandoning the reloading book spec ??
What would be interesting to know is...... what c.o.a.l does get you into the lands territory; and whether that dimension does fit the magazine.... and cycle through the action ?

If your rifle is a single shot, or ( for example ) you are single-feeding a bolt gun; then.... the world's your oyster.

Please let us know what you find out.

With regards,
357Mag

I have used that particular bullet extensively over the years. My method, take with two grains of salt, was, before my COAL Gauge, was to black the bullet in a sized case at an extreme length to find the lands. Then I would seat the bullet until I didn't get any marks on the blacked bullet. Then I would build bullets at that COAL and cycle them through the action. On my Ruger 77 I can seat the Sierra MK to within .005 of the lands and the bullets will still feed perfectly through the magazine. Always shot itty bitty one hole group.

If you can get closer to the lands and it still feeds and fits magazine try it .... I wouldn't be afraid to try Sierras 2.35 oal either. Compare the two and in between too if there's a significant difference.

My experience has been that most 22 caliber bullets in a 223 between 50-60 grains will shoot nicely around Saami spec if rifle is up to it.

BTW my memory tells me 223 standard saami length is usually in 2.23 to 2.26 range.... but I didn't look it up so might give that a look.

Tribb -

Howdy !

For a magazine-fed application, max allowable c.o.a.l. will be dictated by the limits of clearance inside the magazine. And perhaps sometimes, if a certain cartridge o.a.l. exhibits feeding challenges in the action.

Beyond that, ideally..... you'd like to be able to reach the lands w/ the seated bullet..... or perhaps find the gun shoots best w/ the bullets a couple thousandths off the lands..... or sometimes even might find the gun shoots best w/ bullets seated out for a slight " jam ". Only one c.o.a.l. described above could possibly match the reloading book' spec. So.... I wouldn't let reloading book spec's dictate the c.o.a.l.

It was not immediately clear to me whether your cartridge's o.a.l. could be configured to reach the lands, of even to have the seated bullet reach within a couple 'thou of the lands .... by abandoning the reloading book spec ??
What would be interesting to know is...... what c.o.a.l does get you into the lands territory; and whether that dimension does fit the magazine.... and cycle through the action ?

If your rifle is a single shot, or ( for example ) you are single-feeding a bolt gun; then.... the world's your oyster.

Please let us know what you find out.

With regards,
357Mag
Thanks for the input I tried to find the length to lands but çouldn't ever be sure the results were accurate! I will try again and see what it produces thanks for your input sir!

I have used that particular bullet extensively over the years. My method, take with two grains of salt, was, before my COAL Gauge, was to black the bullet in a sized case at an extreme length to find the lands. Then I would seat the bullet until I didn't get any marks on the blacked bullet. Then I would build bullets at that COAL and cycle them through the action. On my Ruger 77 I can seat the Sierra MK to within .005 of the lands and the bullets will still feed perfectly through the magazine. Always shot itty bitty one hole group.
I plan to try again I used a permanent marker what did you use to blacken with? Thanks Tribb

Thanks for the input I tried to find the length to lands but çouldn't ever be sure the results were accurate! I will try again and see what it produces thanks for your input sir!
Tribb -

Howdy !
red
FWIW - when renowned riflesmith Fred Sinclair ( NBRSA Hall of Fame'r ) was my go-to guy for custom accuracy rifles, he offered advice on loading practices; too. ba

When doing load work for my " .22-35 Remington " wildcat, Fred suggested starting initial load work w/ bullets seated about .002" off the lands. From there, I was to try seating the bullets out farther and/or seating them deeper in the case; in seach of the best accuracy load.

My barrel was a 24" SS Hart 5-groove 1-14. My rifle/wildcat were intended for shooting NE Indiana groundhogs.
My bullet of choice was the Hornady .224" cal 55SX.

As it turned out, the .002" off the lands starting seating depth tested out to ultimately proove to be the best choice.
Fred knew his stuff, fer sher !

So, I will pass that along to you; as that approach from Sinclair as worked well for me on multiple rifles.

Keep us posted

With regards,
357Mag

Use a partially sized case that will hold bullet loosely. Have the primer pocket drilled out. Use coat hanger or suitable size rod to gently push bullet out until it touches lands. Gently shake round out and check COL. This is your max COL. Do it a couple of times and average the length. Back off your loads as you wish off the lands.