.22-250 Build Status

Zen Archery

Crunched the numbers after doing a lot of research into first bolt action build.
I'll spend +/- $650 for barrel, trigger, and dies. Another $200(ish) for aftermarket stock.
New Savage 22-250 that comes really close to specs I am wanting $1289.00 on the low end and $1699.00 on the high end. Excluding the die set and excluding the after market trigger. Savage prices are directly from their website. I will occasionally see these rifles for around $1000.00 but any special order you have to pay full price.
In the long run. This is my justification for the build.
I wanted to get the numbers done before Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas Holiday sales.
My goal is to get all the parts by late fall. Get a load developed for winter.
Work on some long range steel than have it ready to go for the 2022 Prairie Dog Season.

If you are super OCD (like I can be) I created a data page for your future resourcing -> Link

I leave on Tuesday for this years Panhandle Prairie Dog hunt! Video and Pics to come. Stay tuned.

I hope a 7"
It looks like he's going with a 1-9" which I used to advocate for. Ryan Furman liked 1-8" and I used to argue against them in order to use light varmint bullets. But now I see that he's probably right and I'd get a 1-8". What bullets, or weight bullets would you want to shoot with a 1-7"?

It looks like he's going with a 1-9" which I used to advocate for. Ryan Furman liked 1-8" and I used to argue against them in order to use light varmint bullets. But now I see that he's probably right and I'd get a 1-8". What bullets, or weight bullets would you want to shoot with a 1-7"?
With our bullets pretty much all of them from light to heavy. We don't have any trouble with light fast coming undone. Heaviest we can run with a 9" is 52g. 7" would allow up to our 83g Hammer Hunter.

With our bullets pretty much all of them from light to heavy. We don't have any trouble with light fast coming undone. Heaviest we can run with a 9" is 52g. 7" would allow up to our 83g Hammer Hunter.
I gotcha now. I concentrated on 53 gr vmax- 75gr eldm's which is why I favored the 1-9" twist.

Last edited:
What twist barrel are you going to go with?
1:9. I want to shoot light to middle weight Bullets. Most likely gonna focus on the 50-60gr range. From what I read I can spin some heavies but 1:9 won't vaporize the lighter Bullets.

I can't say for sure but I don't think you will have any trouble with an 8 twist. Maybe some cup an core bullet might have trouble.

What is the lightest bullet you can stabilize with a 1:8 TR?
I personally don't own a 22-250 but my hunting partner has a defiance with an 8 twist benchmark in 22-250 and an 8 twist and has shot the 40gr blitzkings. I currently own an 8 twist 223 on a tl3 and benchmark so the speed difference doesn't transfer but I can stabilize 40gr blitzkings and shot as heavy as the 80 gr amax so far. This current barrel is one of those guns that just shoot everything. 40gr blitzkings, 52gr seirra match, 60 gr hornady, 55gr vmax, 70gr rdf, and 80gr amax, with 2 different primers, and 2 different powders and largest group of the day of testing was 5 shot .75" with the smallest being in the low .2's and tons of them in the high .2's to low .4'a