Rem 700 22-250

ckohle93

Recently tried re-barreling a rem700 .308 into a 22-250. Used a McGowen barrel and a foster go-gauge. When I cycle an unfired round everything seems fine. Once fired at the very top of the bolt throw I have to get fairly aggressive and it will "click" and then eject the spent case. Fairly useless as a coyote gun if every time I shoot I have to cycle the bolt with both hands. Any help is appreciated. (With my reloads the gun will shoot 1/2" groups or better)

Recently tried re-barreling a rem700 .308 into a 22-250. Used a McGowen barrel and a foster go-gauge. When I cycle an unfired round everything seems fine. Once fired at the very top of the bolt throw I have to get fairly aggressive and it will "click" and then eject the spent case. Fairly useless as a coyote gun if every time I shoot I have to cycle the bolt with both hands. Any help is appreciated. (With my reloads the gun will shoot 1/2" groups or better)
You were having high pressure signs the bolt click is telling you to back down on your powder charge!

Could your chamber possibly be short throated?measure your distance to the lands make sure you are not jamming the bullet into the lands, Also check your cleaning make sure you do not have a carbon ring

Usually, "clickers"- yes, they have that name :)- are usually caused by an interference fit with the case and chamber at the .200 line.
Measure your fired brass at the .200 line- should be .4703. Chamber should be .4714.

Most common cause is a die that's not quite sizing the base of the case enough, and using a small-base die will usually solve that issue. Chamber expands the most at the breech, brass follows- but retains memory and doesn't spring back quite enough.

Is this a nutted prefit from McGowen? If the fired brass is small enough at the base (where that's not the issue), I would pull the barrel and inspect the chamber for any visible burrs or imperfections.