22-250 build help

paredneck10

hey I have a Remington model 700 varmint 22-250 I am wanting to build up for a little more accuracy and distance. I was reading up on what barrel length and twist to go with but I would like more options on what to do. I was thinking 27 to 28 inch barrel and a 1 in 10 inch twist and I would be shooting either 52 grain hpbt match or 55 grain blitz kings and the occasionally the heavier bullets for whitetail. I need some advice thank you

I have a standard Remington 700 VSSF with a 1 in 14 twist,but when it needs a new barrel I'm going to have a 24'' 1in9 twist. This will make the gun much more handy and a true 600 yard gun.
VV

Yeah right now its got a 24" heavy barrel with 1-14" twist and i really dont mind how heavy it will be because i like the feel of a heavy gun i just want to know if a longer barrel will help with the accuarcy and what twist would be great for 52 grain hpbt and 68 grain hpbt and thanks for the reply

A 12 twist will take you to around 65g bullets. A 9 twist will allow use of long match type 70g bullets for sure. Some will stabilize up to the 75g AMAX. Some won't. An 8 twist will let you use up to 80g bullets.

If you want to go heavy and fast, I am convinced that it stepping up to the 22-250 AI is worthwhile.

You could go with a 28 inch barrel. Given the case capacity you are dealing with, however, I am not sure that it will offer much advantage.

My current 22-250 wears a Shilen 26" 12 twist barrel. It shoots the 55's very well. When they are available again, I want to try the 53g VMAX. It has a better bc than the 55's and can be pushed to 3900 or so. I have run the numbers on the JBM website and the 53g VMAX looks like it will perform very well out to 500 yards or so.

My next barrel will be an 8 twist chambered for 22-250 AI. I plan to run 75g AMAX's, unless something better becomes available.

Thanks for the info and i was reading up on different bullets and the 55 grain blitz kings have better bc then the 53 grainers and i just dont know what would be a good barrel brand cuz i wanna keep the factory barrel contour but go a little longer and a better twist

The 53g VMAX has a better bc (.290) than any 55g bullet. To beat the VMAX, you have to step up to a bullet weighing 65g or so and sacrifice a lot of speed. The Blitzking is a good bullet, too. A lot would depend on what your rifle likes.

well I am looking for something for long range varmints and target shooting and something to shoot doe in the head with and depends if a good buck walks out at 500 yards I mint take the shot if hes big enough

I am not sure that a 22-250 is really suited for a big buck @ 500 yards. If that is on the menu, you really should consider stepping up to something bigger, IMO.

If you insist on staying with the 22-250 for that, though, I would go with a fast twist and heavy bullets. An 8 twist would allow you to reliably use bullets like the 75 and 80 grain AMAX and the 75g Scirocco II.

Something to think about, anyway...

will those 53 grain vmax bullets work good in a 1in 14" twist barrel or would I need a faster twist because I just ordered a box of them

Hornady says you need a 12 twist for best results. Some people have been able to stabilize them in a 14 twist, some haven't. In a 14 twist, even the 55's can be marginal sometimes. When I had a 14 twist, it would stabilize the 55's, but accuracy was poor.

well can you tell me a little about the barrel you have on your rifle I don't know much about the shilen barrels like what grade is it and what contour and how much it cost cuz I am really looking at getting a new barrel and I wanna get ideas

This is the barrel I have:

Shilen Match Grade Barrel Mauser Series 3 22-250 Remington #4 Contour

With a Remington 700, once you have decided on caliber, twist, chambering, and barrel material (Chrome moly or stainless steel), you have tons of options. Many barrel makers offer pre-fit barrels for the 700. A lot of gunsmiths, however, prefer contoured blanks so that they have maximum control over the precision of the barrel fit. A contoured blank is generally a bit less expensive than a pre-fit barrel.

It would also be wise to discuss barrel choice with your smith once you have decided who you want to do the work on your rifle. For instance, the smith that re-barreled my 22-250 told me that a Shilen barrel is about the lowest quality barrel that he is willing to work with. He is a big proponent of Krieger and Lilja barrels. He is an exacting guy who guarantees his work. Because of that, he is pretty particular about the quality of parts he will accept for work.

In addition to barrel cost, I paid $300 to have the barrel fit to my action. Some smiths may charge more or less than that.

Thank you i will get ahold of the gun smith and talk to him on which barrel he preffers and continue my looking/shopping i will hopfully post pics here soon of what the gun looks like now and ill post pics of when its done

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.