22-250 ai

It would be on a 700 or a clone action. At the moment I have the stock and mags, nothing else though

The 22-250 run at high velocity and high presures fall just behind the 220 Swift. Depending on your accuracy expectations are. It also depends on how hot you shoot the barrel. If you use the rifle for F-Class and shoot 22-30 rounds in 17 minutes your barrels will not last as long as if you shoot a ground hog once or twice a month.

In the F-class situation you might expect 900- 1500 rounds. In the hunting scenario you might get 3000 rounds.
I'd be happy with 1200 rounds. Barrels can be changed and I have a 308 to pound shells through practicing.

CanHunter35,

Correct me if I am wrong but based on your comments this is for F-Class NOT PRS??

I saw your post about 600M which says FClass to me not PRS. You would be single feeding not from a mag then, correct?

Also what will be the guns spec ? What action?

Sorry I see you posted the action etc. Please disregard that part of my post.

But if this is F class I can not see how there will be any issue with feeding especially if its a custom or properly built action. More that anything that its not a loose goose factory savage action which even with the most forgiving cartridges are never a joy to cycle. They are just too sloppy in the bolt body to receiver fitment to be smooth cycling. Now with a fitted PTG bolt body things do get better. BTW I really like savage actions for what they are and have many designs that are very smart.

If you are single feeding you will have no issues with most any cartidge. Plenty of people using 40 degree shallow taper cases for this type of shooting and in short fat cases. 22/6mm Dasher and Bill Shehanes wildcat off the Dasher both 40 degree are two that come right to mind. If you are feeding from a mag and need really fast follow up such as in PRS where positions can be very unconventional etc where things really need to be perfect. Very different than single feeding from standard fix prone position and you have the time for having target scored between each shot.

Also it will be best to single feed if you want to set the freebore to seat the bullet for ideal case capacity and keeping boat tail junction above neck shoulder junction ( doughnut danger-zone). the 95 SMK has such a long body and rather sharper nose comparative to many of the other new improved SMK as well as most other high BC bullets freebore is going to be longer and thus any other bullet is going to have a large jump and be less than ideal if you have enough bullet in the case neck. As an example in the F/TR .223 going from the 90 berger using the ISSF freebore to the 95 smk required almost 2x the freebore for ideal bullet position. IIRC it was at or close to 0.300 freebore vs the Kiff ISSF reamer freebore @ 0.169 for the 90 vld. Just something to keep in mind.

It would be prs, the ones near me are limited by range length.
I haven't decided on action. A 700 or clone though. At the moment I'm thinking the defiance tenacity, but would like a triple lug for shorter bolt throw.
For the competition I would rather give up performance than feeding ability, but with a 30degree shoulder the 22cm should feed like a dandy.
That is the one downside of the 95smk, a proper chamber becomes a one bullet only chamber, at least at the moment

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.