215 Hybrids in Factory rifle

Case length on 300WM is 2.62. Case length on 300PRC is 2.58. Berger ammunition loads the 205 to 3.7" in their 300PRC ammunition. I am thinking given that it might be difficult to get a good load in a 215 in a factory 300WM with a 3.34 max COAL.
How does this make a difference?
Yes but you may be jamming the bullet up into the rifling. Get a Hornady OAL gauge and check on how much room you have.
With a SAAMI chamber and a 3.34" mag box, it is impossible to jam a bullet… The SAAMI throat on the 300WM is .297" give or take. I have a Win Model 70 Magnum action with 3.6" mag box and still .100" from the rifling…
Modified meaning? Mag box?
Yes, I have a Wyatt's 3.85" box with their follower.

Cheers.

@MagnumManiac thank you for that info. That SAAMI spec measurement on throat length should allow for the 215 to be seated out where it should be to utilize the entire capacity of the case. Correct? Albeit single feeding in my case would be 100% required

How does this make a difference?
Pointing out that in a factory 300WM which is likely built to SAAMI specs you likely won't be able to get enough COAL for a good load with a large for caliber, longer bullet, like the 215 Berger without modifications to the rifle

Last edited:
For what its worth Choice Ammunition loads the 210 VLD and gets a stated 2940. On that bullet the base to Ogive is .77 and OAL is 1.47. The 215 is .799 and 1.598. Choice doesn't saying anything about the cartridge length presumably it would fit in a SAAMI max mag.

For what its worth Choice Ammunition loads the 210 VLD and gets a stated 2940. On that bullet the base to Ogive is .77 and OAL is 1.47. The 215 is .799 and 1.598. Choice doesn't saying anything about the cartridge length presumably it would fit in a SAAMI max mag.
Thanks for the info

Pointing out that in a factory 300WM which is likely built to SAAMI specs you likely won't be able to get enough COAL for a good load with a large for caliber, longer bullet, like the 215 Berger without modifications to the rifle
Is this assuming that only factory ammo is being used?
I certainly do not load ANYTHING I handload to SAAMI spec, and if at all possible, I will modify my mag box to suit longer loading. If not, such as 1 of my 300WM's, a Kimber 8400, the mag is 3.4" with a spacer, the 215g Berger loads to 3.39" without issue and the load is slightly compressed, as is a 200g Accubond or other such long bullet.
I really don't see what you are trying to get at. My other 300WM rifles are a mix with my customs running a A191 chamber, 3.7" or 3.85" mag boxes because I run switch barrels with rounds like 264WM & 7STW in the same action. Quoting SAAMI means very little to a handloader…

Cheers.

I've shot 215's in multiple factory 10 twist rifles, mostly AI's. 76gr of H1000 .020" off the lands is the magic ticket in most rifles but of course work up because that is up there in pressure.

I wouldn't want to shoot it in a light factory rifle unless it had a break though. That would be rough.

Couple things....A Berger 215 will work just fine in a 10 twist.....If the length is an issue the 200 20x/200 Hybrid/205Eh/210VLDH will work, and stone WT's at those ranges. With the right powder you can easily run the 200's at 3k.

Last edited:
What kinda realistic velocity are guys getting with 215? And what is a realistic ETHICAL range for whitetails with the prior mentioned combo
A belated welcome to LRH, and enjoy! Like everything else, YMMV. I have 3 .300 WMs but have not loaded the 215s on any of them yet. I do, however, shoot the 215 out of my .300 WSM propels it at 2850 FPS out of a 24" barrel with RL-17. "MY" unwritten rule is 1000 FT-LBS and 1600 FPS at the point of impact. Below at my altitude is 1200Y. Hunting ethics is subjective and personal. Good luck!

1710597643527.png

Is this assuming that only factory ammo is being used?
I certainly do not load ANYTHING I handload to SAAMI spec, and if at all possible, I will modify my mag box to suit longer loading. If not, such as 1 of my 300WM's, a Kimber 8400, the mag is 3.4" with a spacer, the 215g Berger loads to 3.39" without issue and the load is slightly compressed, as is a 200g Accubond or other such long bullet.
I really don't see what you are trying to get at. My other 300WM rifles are a mix with my customs running a A191 chamber, 3.7" or 3.85" mag boxes because I run switch barrels with rounds like 264WM & 7STW in the same action. Quoting SAAMI means very little to a handloader…

Cheers.
For example my Tikka actioned 300WM has a bottom metal and magazine with an ability to just barely squeeze in a load of 3.4" I would like to load some of the bigger Hammer bullets. Using the Hammer load data the suggested COAL for the heavier, longer bullets exceeds 3.4". Consequently if I wanted to use this rifle for the longer heavier bullets I would have to change the bottom metal and go with longer AICS mags with some further tweaking to feed ramps etc. I could then fit the longer loads and in theory they would feed smoothly. The chamber in my Proof barrel on this rifle would not be the limiting factor, the bottom metal and magazine would be. That's my point. When you have a factory rifle you can't just assume that you can load what you want. You need to consider all the dimensions of your rifle and what modifications you may or may not be able to make and how smoothly rounds will feed after you make those modifications. My rifle with the Tikka action for example. I don't see how any of this controversial.

For example my Tikka actioned 300WM has a bottom metal and magazine with an ability to just barely squeeze in a load of 3.4" I would like to load some of the bigger Hammer bullets. Using the Hammer load data the suggested COAL for the heavier, longer bullets exceeds 3.4". Consequently if I wanted to use this rifle for the longer heavier bullets I would have to change the bottom metal and go with longer AICS mags with some further tweaking to feed ramps etc. I could then fit the longer loads and in theory they would feed smoothly. The chamber in my Proof barrel on this rifle would not be the limiting factor, the bottom metal and magazine would be. That's my point. When you have a factory rifle you can't just assume that you can load what you want. You need to consider all the dimensions of your rifle and what modifications you may or may not be able to make and how smoothly rounds will feed after you make those modifications. My rifle with the Tikka action for example. I don't see how any of this controversial.
If you want to take advantage of the longer, heavier bullets in .300 WM, your action is not the best choice due to lack of COAL/mag clearance unless you go single feed. A .300 WSM might be a better choice. The lack of COAL to some of the actions for the longer, heavier bullets is one of the reasons I went with .338 NM over .338 LM/EDGE, etc.
.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 Thor cut-out 300 Berger 3.7 COAL.jpg

My .338 Thor with 3.7" COAL (touching the lands) 300 Berger.

I am building a 7PRC with a BAT Vampire action and Hawkins Hunter bottom metal running 3.7" magazines. I simply ordered a 300PRC barrel and will use that to run the heavy for caliber .308 bullets. Barrel swap back and forth will be easy. I will have identical CarbonSix barrels. One 7PRC, one 300PRC.