Berger 215 hybrids work in 11.25 twist?

I used to have a link to the website with the calculator, but lost it when my computer crashed a few months ago.

If you could post a link I would apretiate it. It is a great tool!!!

Thanks,
Tod

Thanks much to all you guys for the expert advice.
It seems like some of you have been in my situation before. I want to try the 215 hybrid. If it works, COOL!
If it doesn't, I can always sell them to someone here and go with 210 or 200 hybrid.
Now if I could just find some!
Happy Holidays
Randy

Berger recommends 11x for the 210. Hence the reason you're getting great results. The 215s are quite a bit longer.

All Bullets | Berger Bullets

You're right...My bad. I've been really out of it all week fighting the flu, so I've been talking out of my butt alot from being delerious. My appologies. Finally went and got a steroid shot yesterday and am now on antibiotics, and I'm feeling 1000x better now. Wishing I hadn't put off going to the doc sooner... So, just ignore anything crazy or off the wall I've said all week. LOL

Anyway, I just looked on one of my boxes of 210's and on a box of 230 Hybrids I got sitting here in the bin... The bearing surface on the 230 Hybrid is significantly longer than the 210 VLD.

Took a pic so we can all see what I was missing beforehand...Thanks again Michael.

834C454F-F8A8-4400-B2D0-A9818C8CCF1F_zps9uaoxg8h.jpg

I have been shooting 190 Berger's through my 300WM 11.25 twist Bartlein 5r 24" barrel at 3018fps.I had the barrel throated to the Berger 190 and it shoots it very well.

All comments please. I can take it...

A little off subject here but what COAL did you throat the barrel to for the 190's? I'm in the process of doing the same thing using the 210gr Berger with a coal of 3.550 which would be .010 off the lans which would work also for the 190's and the heavier ones when they can be found. The barrel is a Brux 1-10 twist.

Have never done this before so kinda feeling my way through.

kcebcj,
I don't remember the exact COAL off the top of my head. I'll check my dummy round when I get home and give you an answer.
JBeagle Rifles had me make a dummy round with the 190 grain to give me .005" clearance in my detachable magazine for cycling rounds.
The chamber was then cut to make that dummy round touch the lands.The three degree throat was set tangent to the secant ogive.

kcebcj,
I don't remember the exact COAL off the top of my head. I'll check my dummy round when I get home and give you an answer.
JBeagle Rifles had me make a dummy round with the 190 grain to give me .005" clearance in my detachable magazine for cycling rounds.
The chamber was then cut to make that dummy round touch the lands.The three degree throat was set tangent to the secant ogive.

Sounds like a great setup you have with the COAL tailored to both the mag and throat. Kind of a shame to mess with it after only 300 rds. I almost went down the same road re-barreling my 300 Win Mag to a 338 Edge but decided to stick with what I have, and buy a new rifle in 338 if I want more energy far out. If you move to the 215s, it's unlikely you'll be able to mag feed the rds unless you have a very short throat, which will drive your pressures up and reduce your muzzle vel. I have the H and S precision bottom metal and mags with a max COAL of 3.639", and that sometimes has a hard time feeding as it's so tight in the mag. Not sure if there are longer mags/bottom metal out there...

kcebcj,
Had to play with the dog first.
My COAL is 3.619"
Base to ogive touching lands is 2.954"

Hope that helps.

Scrubbit,

Very interesting comments. Maybe it is asking too much for the 215s to feed.
It looks like the 210s are a bit shorter. I'm wondering if the 210 is a better match to my mag and chamber? After seeing my dimensions, what do you think Scrubbit?

Anybody else have any more ideas?

kcebcj,
Had to play with the dog first.
My COAL is 3.619"
Base to ogive touching lands is 2.954"

Hope that helps.

Scrubbit,

Very interesting comments. Maybe it is asking too much for the 215s to feed.
It looks like the 210s are a bit shorter. I'm wondering if the 210 is a better match to my mag and chamber? After seeing my dimensions, what do you think Scrubbit?

Anybody else have any more ideas?

If you look at the bullet dimensions, the nose length on the 190VLD/210VLD/215Hyb are .730/.729/.905 (From Berger reloading manual). Given that the nose shape and length are almost identical on the two VLDs (basically the same bullet with a longer bearing surface...boat tail is identical length) you could easily get away with the 210s and still mag feed. You only lose approx .09" capacity in your case. If you were to load the 215s for the mag, you'd prob lose .2" and due to the longer slimmer nose, would be way out from the lands. I've have a 10 twist barrel and have given up having them mag fed as I shoot the 215s and will be shooting 230s as well shortly. Seems kind of a waste in hindsight buying my bottom metal and mags... Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Scrubbit,
I just got off Berger's site. I was looking at their quick reference sheet and I found the same info as you. I believe you are right on point with the 210s.
All the hybrids noses are too long to fit in my mag.

Thanks for spending the time to help me.
I appreciate your effort.

Live and learn is right!:D
Happy Holidays,
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.