215 Berger Terminal performance UP CLOSE on elk.

Broz

I have been asked repeatedly "How does the 215 Berger Hybrid perform up close on elk. We have probably taken over 3 dozen elk with them all with one shot kills. But today as we set up to take a meat bull some elk came out right below us. We took this bull with a 215 Berger Hybrid Target our of a 300 Weatherby at 78 yards. Again I was very pleased with the results. Later we took a cow elk with the same rifle at 352 yards and the results were pretty much the same but it stopped just under the hide far side. The bull was very surprised and bolted, after about 25 yards he was doing the Berger wobble and before 75 yards he was down. The cow did a small circle and after about 10 steps went down.

Exit on bull was a nice golf ball sized exit.

IMG_20151115_101548375_zpsvzauuu5t.jpg

Broz whacha have him tied to tree .I see the halter there. Should have shaved him to less hair in the meat. HA HA
LOL

For those of you that care, we have taken over 50 elk so far this season. 95% of these were with Bergers. 195 / 7mm's, 215 / 30 cal, and 300 / .338's. distances of 78 yards to 1118 yards. Not one left the immediate area, only a couple took a second shot and those were with the 7mm's. They were dead but if they stand there for very long we give them another.

Placement is king, but we have learned, if you are off a little, the fragmenting Bergers will cover your butt. We only use heavy for caliber bullets, and I highly recommend this. Use what ever bullet you feel will suit your needs best. But know how it works both near and far, and use that knowledge to stack the odds in your favor.

With literally 100's of elk kills with Bergers and not one lost. I will keep using them exclusively.

Thanks!

Jeff

Broz whacha have him tied to tree .I see the halter there. Should have shaved him to less hair in the meat. HA HA
LOL

LOL, he was in the bottom of a deep hole, so I broke him to lead.:) I use 2500# test mule tape and a halter. Then up to a pulley on a chain to a tree, where he was pulled to a ranch road with a chevy truck.:cool:

Jeff

Did you build a new gun. Last year u had that 300wm.
Also was wondering when we where going to get some nice pics of animals takin . The suspense was starting to affect me.
Thanks again for some great post with pics. Keep them coming.

Did you build a new gun. Last year u had that 300wm.
Also was wondering when we where going to get some nice pics of animals takin . The suspense was starting to affect me.
Thanks again for some great post with pics. Keep them coming.

No this is a rifle I set up for another guy. I still use my 300 win with 215's and my 338 Terminator with 300 grain OTM Bergers. Took my cow this year at 1118 yards with the Terminator.

I have been so busy elk hunting the camera just does not get used as much these days. I guess I see too many dead elk and have grown immune to it all.:D

Jeff

I've killed over 20 bulls with the 180 berger vlds out of a 7mm stw @ 3105 with none lost. Most were one shot drops. As Broz said shot placement is king. Ranges of 75 yards out 790.Thanks for the report!!!

Corey

What velocity is the 300wby getting with the 215 Bergers ? and what powder ?

Is it a 26" barrel ?

Thanks

I'm happy with the performance so far with the 215's. Three one shot kills this year with my 300wm. Nothing long range- cow at 225, mule deer buck 160, coyote at 75(blew him in half). The cow and buck had caliber size entry hole and golf ball size exit, completely destroyed vitals. Don't recommend on coyotes if you are saving the hides lol

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.