212 ELDX results

Isn't Dead....dead enough anymore? You need to understand the THICKNESS of a Bear vs Ungulates! You aren't shooting a whitetail, there is 4 times the body mass here and more than 4 times the hide thickness and 8 times the hair density, bone density and muscle mass! How and why has this new thinking come about where if I don't get a thru and thru this bullet is crap! I don't want a pass thru....Ever...I want a bullet to dump all its energy.....in the animal not leave a pencil channel in and out.
Dead is dead, we are discussing the performance of the bullet .. it's not as advertised which isn't shocking coming from big marketing hype

Which bonded and mono bullets have you had disastrous results? Weight and velocity? I wish to steer clear of such results but love
Light for caliber monos driven to stupid high velocity as they have been the opposite of disastrous for me.
Barnes ttsx, pva Cayuga, and accubonds (both types).
Partitions have been solid for me at high impact velocities but that's about it.

Barnes ttsx, pva Cayuga, and accubonds (both types).
Partitions have been solid for me at high impact velocities but that's about it.
Interesting…I believe you. What velocity ranges you running?

I'm coming to believe something very very boring: for the majority of hunting boring old cup and core soft points might not just be acceptable, they might even be more predictable and reliable than frangible vlds on one hand or monos on the other haha.

ThT being said in my 300 win I've adopted both extremes: my two loads are either a 120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps or a 225 eld m at 2800. Totally different designs, both kill very emphatically.

But this year I'm gonna take my new-to-me .358 Norma Magnum moose hunting and probably use the 250 grain hornady interlocks I've loaded up. Old school soft points will never be obsolete.

Interesting…I believe you. What velocity ranges you running?

I'm coming to believe something very very boring: for the majority of hunting boring old cup and core soft points might not just be acceptable, they might even be more predictable and reliable than frangible vlds on one hand or monos on the other haha.

ThT being said in my 300 win I've adopted both extremes: my two loads are either a 120 Barnes tac tx at 4050 fps or a 225 eld m at 2800. Totally different designs, both kill very emphatically.

But this year I'm gonna take my new-to-me .358 Norma Magnum moose hunting and probably use the 250 grain hornady interlocks I've loaded up. Old school soft points will never be obsolete.
2000 to 2700 fps
I've had a few issues with the Berger 215, 195, and 180 hybrids failing to expand but I'm literally at 100% awesomeness with eldm and eldx performance

I loaded 200gr ELDX for my two 30-06s because I hope to get a hog. I have shot four deer since loading these rounds. They have been very effective. the only runner made it only 30 yds with massive internal damage from a soft tissue penitration behind the left shoulder and exiting to the left rear of the anus. I could only see the left shoulder area with her quartering toward me.

2000 to 2700 fps
I've had a few issues with the Berger 215, 195, and 180 hybrids failing to expand but I'm literally at 100% awesomeness with eldm and eldx performance
Glad to hear it. Yeah I know the Barnes say they open down to 1800 or something but I personally think we're in the same page…I'd never use them in anything that started out slower than 3000 and honestly think they're at they're best much faster than that.

I love that eld m. And I was able to find and purchase it without difficulty. And I didn't have to take out a second mortgage 🤣

I hear great things about hammer bullets and do intent to try them out. First up will be the 223 grain shock hammer in my .358 Norma. Big open hollow point on that one, I like it. Probably wait till next season though, don't really have time at the moment to start new load development haha

I have not read anywhere where the X in ELDX...stands for Exit..

From Hornady's website:

The ELD-X®​ (Extremely Low Drag - eXpanding) bullet is a technologically advanced, match accurate, ALL-RANGE hunting bullet featuring highest-in-class ballistic coefficients and consistent, controlled expansion at ALL practical hunting distances.

I quit using ELD-X right after they hit the market. Two consecutive near losses from proper shots.

I use .30 caliber Hammer Hunter 195 gr. or Badlands 196 gr. and the 205 gr. and sometimes the Nosler 180 gr. E-Tip for elk.

Practice shooting from field positions and practice, practice, practice!

The debate about the performance of this one style of bullet mirrors every debate taking place online and in the U.S. these days, it's a 50/50 split. No winners just both sides rallying around their claims.

Pick your bullet for performance and accuracy then go hunt!

Be sure to enjoy every minute of your outdoor activities and the camaraderie!

:)

This is a 212eld-x I recovered from a whitetail buck last year. Impact velocity was around 2800 fps and retained weight was 113 grains.
KIMG0699.JPG

2000 to 2700 fps
I bet you can't guess which one is a burger and which is lr accubond? Guys they all fail! There are so many variables that play into it.

Enjoy the ice cream

Attachments

• 1A56FC5D-3B59-4AA3-BB4D-4BA871F2931F.jpeg
    1A56FC5D-3B59-4AA3-BB4D-4BA871F2931F.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 112
  • D79CF768-1CD4-4DB3-B6F7-1F0AC440E37F.jpeg
    D79CF768-1CD4-4DB3-B6F7-1F0AC440E37F.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 91
  • 536B1A1B-127B-43E9-8E9F-67F81602451C.jpeg
    536B1A1B-127B-43E9-8E9F-67F81602451C.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 500AB031-A274-47BC-9C92-F2AB7679FD04.jpeg
    500AB031-A274-47BC-9C92-F2AB7679FD04.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I bet you can't guess which one is a burger and which is lr accubond? Guys they all fail! There are so many variables that play into it.
Nice
Looks like one of the four 215s I put into a bull once.
No doubt anything can fail, my personal experience is that at longer ranges hornady and Berger are king but berger is the one you need to put through the shoulder

I ran 212eldx bullets in factory hornady 300prc precision hunter ammo at the beginning. MV was 2860 with and SD of 11.....not bad for factory ammo. Shot a 80# hog at 110yds....no pass thru but still bang flop. Shot a 200# hog at 110yds no pass thru but died after 4-5 steps. Shot a 175# boar at 150yds and the off side had a hole the size of a 1/8" 6010 welding rod and squirting blood like a super soaker. Shot a whitetail at 180yds and boom flop but no exit hole.

If you want an exit hole then the eldx is probably not the best choice.