212 vs 220 eldx question

wolverine99

Got a quick question. I read that the 212 is for actions without coal limits and the 220 is for limited coal. Is that correct? is the bullet longer? thanks for the info

I have both and I thought the same thing that the 220 would be shorter but its not. I didn't put the calipers on them but the 220 is longer. The reasoning is I think the 220 has a more hybrid design that wont be as sensitive to seating depth and you can load them to mag length with good results, where the ogive of the 212 is gonna want to be up on the lands like a VLD. I plan to load these in my 30378 and I am leaning towards the 220 even though the bc is higher on the 212 the 220 is still gonna kill just as far

I just bought a box of 220s, because they were on the shelf. :D

Hornady%20220%20ELD-X_zps0apvnnsr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have a 30 338 lapua improved single shot and it shoots berger 230 great and have a couple boxes of 220s on order but didn't know if I should go with the 212s instead

I was almost tempted in buying a box of the 200's last night. Figured I could spin them up to 3300+FPS but I have a good thing going with the 200gr accubonds.

I was almost tempted in buying a box of the 200's last night. Figured I could spin them up to 3300+FPS but I have a good thing going with the 200gr accubonds.

I was leaning towards staying with the Accubond also but the with the higher BC I figured why not give the ELD-X's a shot. I'll shoot the one that gives me the best accuracy/speed combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts