212 ELDX results

rharfo

Thoughts on this?
212 ELDX at 2933 fps (muzzle) , 213 yard broadside shot (2662 impact velocity). Bear weighed 253. Hit rib on entry. No exit. Heart showed some damage. All other organs showed no damage. Pic shows small pieces of recovered bullet. Bear went 20 yards.
I won't call this a failure but I expected a pass through. Was the shot too close for this bullet?

Attachments

• C9DC1972-99C5-49AC-89E2-1E5A477AAC66.jpeg
    C9DC1972-99C5-49AC-89E2-1E5A477AAC66.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 191
That mirrors what I see with all eldx bullets on game and why I no longer use the x line up. Jacket sheds from core without fragmentation, no exit, and minimal internal damage.

Little to no blood and even small whitetail here in southeast are hard to recover. Lots of better options for hunting out there in my opinion.

That mirrors what I see with all eldx bullets on game and why I no longer use the x line up. Jacket sheds from core without fragmentation, no exit, and minimal internal damage.

Little to no blood and even small whitetail here in southeast are hard to recover. Lots of better options for hunting out there in my opinion.
No blood is right! Glad I didn't have to track him.

I'll also add that from the many kills I've made with Bergers, AMax, and eldms the majority of critters left no blood trail and I didn't get pass throughs.
They absolutely kill stuff quick though, bonded bullets and monos have been disastrous and I won't touch them anymore

If you do want a pass through run a Sierra gameking they do a decent job and will pass through. If you want FMJ like performance run a Barnes TTSX you'll get a pass through for sure that is roughly 150% the original diameter of the bullet after the X opens on the bullet.
I personally don't want pass through as I want the energy dumped into the internal organs. I use ELD-M, Hybrid, elite hunter and hammer bullets for hunting. The hammer bullets are pretty nice as they dump energy and shed petals off for extra damage. I assume hammers usually pass through but mine haven't.

I have only shot one animal with a 212 ELD-X and it impacted at a tad over 3K. Big feral hog. There was massive internal damage, liver entrance through a rib and all internals shredded, weird 1/2x1.5" exit wound on opposite shoulder that I assume was some portion of the lead core. Jacket base portion was lodged in the spine well off axis of the shot, lots of little particles of the bullet throughout the wound channel. I intentionally ran that bullet into a hog WAY faster than I would recommend to see what it would do. My son shot a similar big hog the next night with a 30 cal 168 A-Max impacting a bit over 2800 and the damage was for all practical purposes the same. I likely wouldn't chose the 212 for an elk or moose hunt until I can see what they do at lower impact velocities, but for deer, hogs, bears etc I would use them no issue. The massive internal damage of the ELD-X seems to be on par with the A-Max from what we have seen in 7mm and 30 cal, and I love the A-max on lighter animals.

Eldx are my go to for 500yrds or less. 30 cals & 6.5s most all have been pass throughs.

Attachments

• 9780B054-9941-4F53-8E69-95D822AB963E.jpeg
    9780B054-9941-4F53-8E69-95D822AB963E.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 150
  • 468F282A-3C5D-40AF-9512-517CD051066A.jpeg
    468F282A-3C5D-40AF-9512-517CD051066A.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 140
  • EB16F8BD-9E5A-4585-82E9-A1A6E671671B.jpeg
    EB16F8BD-9E5A-4585-82E9-A1A6E671671B.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
OP, that's my experience. We almost lost a nice bull because the bullet blew up basically with little damage. Luckily for us the first shot hit the elk, bullet flipped on its side, and rolled up taking his spine out rendering him paralyzed. Second shot did him in. Velocity at the muzzle for the 212 was 3124...

I'm now using Berger 215's... no more ELDX for us

I'll also add that from the many kills I've made with Bergers, AMax, and eldms the majority of critters left no blood trail and I didn't get pass throughs.
They absolutely kill stuff quick though, bonded bullets and monos have been disastrous and I won't touch them anymore
Which bonded and mono bullets have you had disastrous results? Weight and velocity? I wish to steer clear of such results but love
Light for caliber monos driven to stupid high velocity as they have been the opposite of disastrous for me.

Thoughts on this?
212 ELDX at 2933 fps (muzzle) , 213 yard broadside shot (2662 impact velocity). Bear weighed 253. Hit rib on entry. No exit. Heart showed some damage. All other organs showed no damage. Pic shows small pieces of recovered bullet. Bear went 20 yards.
I won't call this a failure but I expected a pass through. Was the shot too close for this bullet?
You said no exit, you have 12 grains of bullet there, where's the other 200grains? I'm yet will tell you a lot about the performance of the bullet.

Isn't Dead....dead enough anymore? You need to understand the THICKNESS of a Bear vs Ungulates! You aren't shooting a whitetail, there is 4 times the body mass here and more than 4 times the hide thickness and 8 times the hair density, bone density and muscle mass! How and why has this new thinking come about where if I don't get a thru and thru this bullet is crap! I don't want a pass thru....Ever...I want a bullet to dump all its energy.....in the animal not leave a pencil channel in and out.