20X bino question

ddubas

Looking for the pros and cons of getting or not getting 20X binos. The thing that causes me a problem is I am right handed and left eye dominate. Looking thru a spotting scope for a long period time gives me a headache, even if I switch from one eye to the other. I am asking if a 20X bino is enough to judge quality animals out to 1000 yards? Thanks in advanced for any and all comments.

I had the same question you did on big Binos for long range shooting.I have been using 10x50 Swaros for a long time, and love them, but need more power for 1000yards.My buddies have 20x80 and 20x100 that are pretty low quality,and they did not show me much.After much ruminating, I sold some stuff and bought a pair of 15x56 Swaros.I have only had them about a month,but they are going to be the cats ***,I think!A big difference between 10 and 15 power.Some of the giant binos work better for fine detail work, But I can carry the 15x56.I was worried about light gathering,but they seem to work great even in twilight. Thanks, Dave.

[ QUOTE ]
I had the same question you did on big Binos for long range shooting.I have been using 10x50 Swaros for a long time, and love them, but need more power for 1000yards.My buddies have 20x80 and 20x100 that are pretty low quality,and they did not show me much.After much ruminating, I sold some stuff and bought a pair of 15x56 Swaros.I have only had them about a month,but they are going to be the cats ***,I think!A big difference between 10 and 15 power.Some of the giant binos work better for fine detail work, But I can carry the 15x56.I was worried about light gathering,but they seem to work great even in twilight. Thanks, Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I have a pair of the 15X56 Swarovskis that I recently aquired and they seem to be the cats ***. I see a great difference between 15 and 10 power.The 20 power binoculars that I have seen are just too big and heavy for packing

I agree that the 15x56 SLC's are about as good as it gets past 1000 yards. I dont own a pair of the 15's but use a set on occasion when coues hunting. I prefer them over my EL 10x42's past 1K. Under 1K and I'll stick w/my 10's. You will pick up more details at over 1K with the 15's.

Like I said, as long as they are a quality pair. The 15x56 SLC's are such a pair.

big dollar high mag optics will do what you want. Heavy and bulky but will perform. Just be prepared to also haul a quality tripod.

Steiner and Minox may also be brands worth looking at.

I don't like using a spotting scope either for long term glassing. On a whim, I picked up a pair of 12X50 Nikon EX Extreme ATB binos (they also make a 16X). They are dirt cheap (retail well under $200) but built on the same parameters as the roof prism ATB's that I have used and enjoyed for a few years.

Well, I was stunned at how good these binos are. I am not saying that they are good for a low priced bino. I am saying they are good against some expensive glass.

I would avoid the Pentax versions of the same type of binos.

The only way to know for sure is to get some and try them. Our eyes are different and some glass just doesn't work the same. The only Euro brand that seems to work well for me is Leica. Zeiss and Swar or not all that great. Bizarre, but I find Japanese glass easier to see with.

I do suggest you give these Nikons a look though. I had them at a 1000m shoot last summer. Beside me was another shooter with a pair of Zeiss binos (ribbed housing, roof prism, 10X42B marked on body, Victory model???).

At 1000m, we both prefered the Nikons....

Jerry

thanks for everyone who has replied. at this time my budget can't support a purchase of the swarovski. i was looking at the steiner 15x56, but it sounds like i better check out the nikons. thanks again.

I hunted Antelope last October with a gentleman that used a set of Steiner 15X56's and he loved them thats what got me to wanting a pair of 15X56 bino's

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.