208ELDM/300winmag/Proof Prefit

BrienM

I've been curious long enough. I have a 24" proof pre-fit 10twist 300winmag barrel headed my way for my Bighorn Origin. I've got several pieces of old brass but a new venture deserves new brass. I ordered 100pcs. of new Peterson "long" 300 win brass and 500 208ELDM Hornady bullets. I wonder if I should have spread out my options for bullet testing but less options will force me to test more diligently maybe. I've shot a pile of Berger bullets in many different combo's with great luck but I wanted bullets that are a little more affordable and available. I've seen people shoot great with the Hornady bullets and I feel like hands down the Hornady white box factory ELD-M ammo is the best factory ammo I have ever shot. The 208 ELD-M Hornady has a great BC and I hope to be able to get them running well with some on hand H1000 or H4831sc. This rifle is set up right now scoped with a Vortex gen2 Razor 27x, bedded in a graybow Renegade/3.85" m5 bottom metal with a 28" Brux light varmint 8.5twist 7rem mag/Area419 Sidewinder brake that shoots lights out but with bipod attached, it weighs 18#'s. Recoil is very manageable but the weight is such a drag. I've ran heavy weight rigs for the last couple years but I'm giving in to the "loose weight" challenge. Recoil will definitely increase with this new setup but should still be fairly manageable. I originally built this rig with outlaw steel plate matches/ informal sniper challenges/ mid range (200-700yds) deer hunting in mind.
This is quite a science experiment for me I guess. I have had 300wm variants for several years but I've had very little experience with ELD-M's, zero experience with carbon fiber barrels and new to the Peterson "long" brass.
Fingers Crossed
Brien
WV

Sounds like a nice rifle and fun project. I look forward to seeing how it pans out. All of the ELD bullets I have loaded have shot really well once the load is dialed in, I don't think you'll have an issue there.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your experiment. Both powders should do fine and I have had nothing but good experiences with the ELD-M's. I started with the 208's and ran them for a couple of years. From there I stepped up to the 212gn ELD-X and also tried the 215gn Berger at the same time. The 212 was a tad more accurate, regardless of the distance and the ES/SD's were better with the Hornady bullets.
I have now gone to the 225gn ELD-M's and they shoot lights out in my 28" Pac Nor 1-9t. I use RL-26 and CCI BR2's for this load.
Good shooting and keep us up to speed.

So, I changed my plans a bit. My 7rem mag shoots so well and @PuckerFactorRiflesWY had a great deal going on Origin actions, I bought another action instead of taking my 7 apart. I bedded it (marine tex) in an HS Precision stock with their bottom metal/DBM combo, installed a Jewel trigger and I picked up a used jetblast brake for it. I haven't shot many 208's yet (6 total). I ran 75 165gr tipped game kings and wasn't satisfied so i tried the old 165HPBT sierra and it really came to life. The 208's are a bit long for my throat and I'd rather keep recoil down somewhat in case one of my girls gets on it so it doesn't kick them too bad (may run with no brake during deer season this year for the noise). I may experiment more later with the 208's but since I'm about out of time for deer season, I'm running the 165HPBT Sierra Game Kings. With the 4.5x14 zeiss and no brake it weighed 9.8#. With the S&B+ brake it weighs 11.4#'s.

49276464-E4C7-4CFE-B634-450775EA8EC5.jpeg
0C509A70-5DD7-43E2-8D89-E796EF0980C6.jpeg
70D6EF1D-04F5-4288-932C-883201EFDDE6.jpeg

I'm near Parkersburg. We've shot over at Harry Jones Memorial range a couple times.

I'm near Parkersburg. We've shot over at Harry Jones Memorial range a couple times.
Cool, a couple hours away. This is the second time someone mentioned Harry Jones range, and I don't know where this is at. I'm always looking for another place to shoot. Where is this place and what is the max distance, if you don't mind. Thanks David

It's a nice range. Great benches . Pretty good conditions to shoot in when I've been there.