Proof Savage Prefits

Crowe284

Was wandering if anyone here has used one of the proof prefits on a build? I have an absolute hammer of a model 12 LRP creed but....its heavy as hell and I am a tinkering son of a gun!

The 12 LRP has the large shank target action and (in my openion) awesome target accutrigger. Has good HS stock so would not change anything except barrel.

I have seen the barrels for sale from stocky's and they have a creed barrel that finishes at 28" and weighs 3.12 lbs. The fluted full bull that comes stock on the rifle probably weighs +\- 5.75 lbs. With that said, do you think the lighter barrel would make the rifle really rear heavy and not balance very well? Action, rings and 31 oz scope add up on the rear of the gun...Just wandering if anyone has done it and has any insight to share.

I also noticed on stocky's site they specifically stated that the barrels they have are small shank, don't know if proof makes them in large shank. Emailed them earlier today but don't expect to hear anything soon with holidays.

Any info or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Crowe

I have no personal experience but have looked at this option. 2.5 lbs is 2.5 lbs but it will still not be a light rifle. I was considering getting a Proof prefit with a Shilen action and a manners stock.

Right, still not going to be light, but will be lighter. I don't need it to be my backcountry mule deer rig, already have one. Just thought that knocking the fat off its rear would be nice. The proof barrel would bring the total loaded weight of my rig down to just over 11 lbs. which would be awesome. Also, I just wanna try one of their barrels!

Just heard back from proof. They are not currently making the prefits for large shank actions.

From proof: "We don't have a large shank yet. I have a barrel coming out in the next few months that can be finished out as a drop in but it will likely be just a blank that requires gunsmith finishing."

So.....looks like I'm going to have to wait on the project.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.