208 Barnes LRX out of 300 PRC not even on paper

richhymas

So I am working on developing a good load for my 300 PRC (Christenson Arms). It shoots the factory 225 ELD match very well but I am looking for a good elk hunting round with good weight retention and penetration. I started with Reloader 26 and 3 bullets. The 199 hammer hunter, the 200 grain Swift A-frame, and the 208 Barnes LRX. The hammer hunter was 6 MOA left of the factory ELD match and my initial ladder (to find max load and velocity) grouped quite well. The A frame had a similar POI to the factory but grouped quite poorly with the ladder. What blew me away was that i could not get on paper at 100 yards with the 208 LRX. My paper was 11 inches tall and 24 inches wide. I started at the center of the paper the. Aimed at each edge. Never found paper with 6 rounds. I couldn't believe there would be that much difference from one bullet to another. Has anyone had a similar experience with the 208 grain LRX? Wondering if they are tumbling or some other crazy thing.

Edit: my gun has a 1:8 twist.

Last edited:
The Barnes 208LRX is very long for caliber, It may not be stabilizing depending on your barrel twist and could be going in all sorts of directions.

Sammi spec for a 300prc is a 1-8 twist. That shouldn't be an issue

Can't speak for Barnes, but a cheapie Bergara 300 prc I had was about 1.5 MOA at 100 yds. with factory Hornady 225 ELDM or 212 ELDX. It put 5 Hammer Hunter 199s' in about 13" at 1000yds (about 3/4 MOA at 100). Like Hecouldgoalltheway, I suspect there are other issues here.
This was from a 1:9 twist.

Yes you are probably right here. Had a strange experience with our 7mm x-bolt and Barnes. Bullets were tumbling, entering the paper sideways despite more than adequate twist rate. Likely because the gun needed cleaned.

Update. I cleaned the gun to bare. Shot again. Put pullseye at the bottom of an 8x11 piece of paper. Hit 8 MOA high and 2 MOA right compared to factory ELD-M. 2 bullets about 1 inch apart. So the next question is how to work up a load for 208 Barnes LRX. Any differences? I have velocities in 1 grain increments up to 78 grains RE 26 which showed faint extractor marks with new virgin brass but with once fired brass no extractor mark or heavy bolt lift. I consider 78 grains max load for the gun. I also have the bullet loaded to max mag length which is jumping 200 thousandths. So I can only go shorter from there due to mag constraints. Do you guys see significant seating depth effect when jumping that muck or do I focus on velocity node? Can I expect 1/2 MOA out of an ideal load? I am hoping so as that's what I have come to expect from quality lead based bullets such as berger and even the swift sciroccos.

You're jumping the bullet 0.200"? Seems like a helluva jump, even for a Barnes. I've had best luck with jumping them anywhere from 0.025" to 0.050", though no experience with the 208 LRX.

Should add that in my experience most Barnes bullets like to be pushed pretty hard. Find your max safe powder charge and work your seating depth back from there. I've done that with 243, 7mm-08, 7mm WSM, and 300 WSM. Pretty easy to get 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with most rifles.

You're jumping the bullet 0.200"? Seems like a helluva jump, even for a Barnes. I've had best luck with jumping them anywhere from 0.025" to 0.050", though no experience with the 208 LRX.
I don't have a choice. It's a super long sleek bullet which means it is longer than the magazine well before it touches the lands. I don't believe in hunting single feed. Too much can go wrong that requires a follow up shot. If I could get an extended box mag for my Christensen I would.

Should add that in my experience most Barnes bullets like to be pushed pretty hard. Find your max safe powder charge and work your seating depth back from there. I've done that with 243, 7mm-08, 7mm WSM, and 300 WSM. Pretty easy to get 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with most rifles.
That is super helpful to know. Thanks.

Recent Posts