204 ruger stories

nelson

Anybody have any info on long shots made with the 204 ruger how does it acctually compare with the 22-250 and the 220 swift. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've shot quite a lot of porcipines with the .223, 22-250, and the 204. On these targets I don't see any major differences in LR performance other than the .223 is 100 yards in the hole.

My longest shot with the 22-250 was @ 500 yards. the porkey hung in the tree for a few seconds and then fell. This spring I shot one @ 565 yards with the 204 40gr v-max at 3850fps. Same result as with the 22-250.

Last year in one hour I shot 6 with the 204 from 50-370 yards all one shot kills the one at 370 was a raking shot from back to front. The bullet opened him up from his hip to neck with a 1.5 inch wide gap where his ribs should have been.

The 204 is easilly deflected by small branches much more than any other varmit round I have shot. I think the small high vel. bullets come apart when they contact anything.

I have had similar bullet problems on a couple of close range coyotes, and stopped using it for dogs. although there are some dedicated 204 shooters who have overcome this problem.

For a strictly varmit round it is a great cartrige. The audible "smack" sound when hitting small varmits is more pronounced than the other cartriges I've listed. Explosion factor on critters under one pound is awsome.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.