204 Ruger Build

TheReeper

I have decided to build a 204 Ruger for varmint hunting out to 500 yards. I have heard some really good thing about the 204 and have heard it works well out to 500 yards when using the 39grn Blitzking. My shooting buddy uses a custom built 204 for his varmint hunting and it is deadly out to 500 yards. I will be using a Krieger 28" 1-12 twist barrel, Rem 700 Action, McMillan MBR Stock and Jewel Trigger topped with a Nightforce 3.5x15x56mm NXS scope. I would like to here what you guys think. I was also thinking about going with a 220 Swift which would allow me to reach out to around 600 yards with the 55grn V-Max. I am a varmint hunter and I like to shoot the varmint type bullets. If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them.

As soon as I shoot out the barrel I have on my 204 now, I am going to go this route.

I don't like the cavernous throat on the factory barrels so I will get a custom reamer built so a 39 Sierra or 40 gr. Berger will sit in the case where it is supposed to and have a few thousands free bore. I will spec the barrel so it will finish around 28 like yours, and have a shank that will allow me to cut an inch off and rechamber when it gets throated by use. With the cost of premium barrels and having to wait so long for them, it seems to make sense to set yourself up in a way to use the entire life possible in the barrel. I have more than several Kriegers and I am sure you will like yours.

In the scheme of things, the cost of the custom reamer is low compared to the other components.

BTW, 1-12 is the limit for 39-40 gr. bullets. Sierra BK and Bergers are stabilizing in most 1-12 barrels, but you will not be able to go above that with any dependability. In my opinion the 40 gr. Berger is one of the best bullets in the 204. It is more accurate than the 39 at distances, at least in my gun. I shoot both at pds, and up to 250 yds it is hard to tell them apart. Out a ways, the Berger is more accurate in my rifle. It has a little tougher jacket than the BK if you want to go for coyote.

Sounds like a good build to me.

Jim

Reeper, I also like the 40 grain in 204 ruger. My longest kill was a porcipine at 565 yards. Dumped out of the tree on impact.

I agree with Jim's suggestions, I have a 204 reamer in the shop that is short throuted.

I would go with the 204 over the 220 swift for the simple fact that no recoil means you can see your hits much better with the 204, and it is capable to 600.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.