204 or 223 for Prairie Dogs

A question for you PD hunters. As far as I know, PD`s live in wide open spaces with few, if any, objects ( trees, buildings, big rocks, etc., etc.) around. Also as far as I know, range finders need something to bounce off of in order to give you a range reading. If all that`s true, how do you determine range so you can dope your scope? LOL! As you can tell from my question, I`ve never been anywhere near a PD town!
Most all of my rigs weigh about or around 18-20 pounds, + or -, this allows one to better do their own spotting.
As mentioned accuracy trumps speed, I still admit to being a speed freak. When I am holding head high and hitting low, I switch rigs with something that is zeroed higher or shoots flatter, if not both. I use 17's, 20's a lot more than I use too. The 22's and 6mm, come out in wind and distance issues.

I have had use of $300-$3000 range finders. All tend to have their faults. Standing on the tailgate or even a small step stool or short ladder allows you to get more of an angle and some better results even with cheaper equipment.

Once you get "on" you can do some guesstimating. However things can get way out of reference because of the way the terrain and mirage will work.
Most folks with honest talk on shots will walk out and find said critter and then zap back to a specific point.

I would venture to say this is about like most deer hunting stories, ranges are actually less than what is said.

Guys talk about the 1000 yard club. Where I frequent, you have maybe 1-2 hours tops to locate a dog at that distance and get all your dope to hit the little SOB. After that the mirage usually limits us to around 3-400 on a regular day.

If you like to tinker and reload the 20VT is sweet. I've had 204, 20VT, 223, 22-250 and 220 swift. If I had only one it would probably be 223 just due to sheer availability. My two favorites are 20VT and 22-250 as they cover all bases for everything from coyote down

Pay your money where you like. Nothing like doing it yourself. A great prairie dog SHOT certainly beats paying $10K for a Super Bowl ticket. Just to W A T C H somebody else have fun is not for me

One more 2-bits worth:
First thought is this; as has been mentioned, most "dogs" live in open range, tumble weed areas. This is not a place to be shooting by ones self! Safety first! Have shooting buddies with you! It's always more fun. and you SPOT for each other!!!
We would pair off, in different locations, within ear shot of each other. First one would shoot 50 rounds+or-, or until they ran out or targets,or the barrel got too warm, and then switch off with his partner, and so on.
if you were in a good area, {you always brought at least 2 rifles and a couple of pistols,[for the morning short range shots]. It was not uncommon to go through at least 300-500 rounds, by hitting several dog towns.

I
One more 2-bits worth:
First thought is this; as has been mentioned, most "dogs" live in open range, tumble weed areas. This is not a place to be shooting by ones self! Safety first! Have shooting buddies with you! It's always more fun. and you SPOT for each other!!!
We would pair off, in different locations, within ear shot of each other. First one would shoot 50 rounds+or-, or until they ran out or targets,or the barrel got too warm, and then switch off with his partner, and so on.
if you were in a good area, {you always brought at least 2 rifles and a couple of pistols,[for the morning short range shots]. It was not uncommon to go through at least 300-500 rounds, by hitting several dog towns.I
I'd like to buddy up with someone and shoot all day. If you have and opening and know of a good place. Have truck will travel!