2023 loaded Colorado Z71

The 2023 Colorado Z71 Loaded is $52,00
Was there any sticker shock? As you might have noticed by my earlier post, I don't have new vehicles. I drive the wheels off my vehicles and then bolt them back on, 20K plus a year on my Honda. About half that on each of my pickups.

I just need something that'll start, drive well, be reasonably comfortable to sit in, windows that work, and a good heater. AC and a stereo are just a nice to have thing. I just know I'm hard on vehicles, but I fix the broken stuff, and do the maintenance.

I finally did get tired of having to reach across the cab to lock my doors on my old Ford and replaced the door lock acuators after about 15 years. To be honest it was the driver door that failed 15 years ago, the passenger side only took me 5 years to replace. That's about the extent of letting things not function onbmy vehicles.

I'm with you Ducky.When my wife retired in 2015 she bought a brand new Chevy Colorado Extended Cab 4x4 and paid around 30,000 for it and only has 23,000 miles on it now.
I drive a 1998 Chevy 4x4 Pick Up with 134,000 miles and will fix it if anything happens to it.In 1998 they used the 4L60E transmissions and they give out if abused and sometimes for no reason at all but a rebuilt transmission is cheaper than a new truck by far.
Folks are paying above retail for vehicles right now so I'll fix mine.

The Fast Lane Truck is a pretty good youtube channel that have some videos on the Colorado and compare it to the Tacoma.

As far as switching it up, I won't presume to tell you how to spend your money, but $52k seems high for a mid sized truck. I know everything has gone up in price, but you are getting into full sized territory there. I traded in my Tacoma with about 108k miles on it around a year ago and got an F-150 Tremor. More space, more features/amenities, WAY more power, better gearing, etc. I like my Tremor because it does the things my Tacoma couldn't, and not once have I found myself nostalgic or missing my Taco. If the Chevy checks the boxes you are looking for and/or does something your Tacoma can't then I would say go for it. Otherwise the Tacoma is a fine truck and there is nothing wrong with keeping it.

The Fast Lane Truck is a pretty good youtube channel that have some videos on the Colorado and compare it to the Tacoma.

As far as switching it up, I won't presume to tell you how to spend your money, but $52k seems high for a mid sized truck. I know everything has gone up in price, but you are getting into full sized territory there. I traded in my Tacoma with about 108k miles on it around a year ago and got an F-150 Tremor. More space, more features/amenities, WAY more power, better gearing, etc. I like my Tremor because it does the things my Tacoma couldn't, and not once have I found myself nostalgic or missing my Taco. If the Chevy checks the boxes you are looking for and/or does something your Tacoma can't then I would say go for it. Otherwise the Tacoma is a fine truck and there is nothing wrong with keeping it.
I did exactly as you said. I was looking at the Colorado but for the price. I bought a 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 with 16,000 miles on it. Had a few dings. But not bad. I think the old guy that owned it previously, hit something every time he took her out. Lol But for $22,000.00 it was a good deal considering they wanted the same amount for the same truck with 116,000 miles. 2 years ago I bought it n got 3 payments left. It would actually be 2 more years of payments if I had not doubled my payments.

I just purchase a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 w/2.4 L Auto Trans, 208,000 miles on it. It straighter than a pin. $1,000.00. it had been well taken cared for. I just had air locker front and rear put in. Going lift it up 2.5". For winch for it. There been more than one I have taken over 250,000 miles on. A lot of them were not using oil yet.
I have 2008 Titan with 265,000 milse on it. It doesn't use oil. Put bearing in the rearend. Replace the Starter at about 210,000 miles. Just with through the brakes replacing the rotors all four, Shock not to long ago. It's there V-8 model. We also have Avalon about 250,000 miles on it. No oil uses. The been some work on it too. Brakes AC, Struct, and few other things.
If you keep them services, and think you are wildman they will last a long time.
It's mostly all about getting them services correctly and mostly on time. Taking care of the small items as needed goes a long way in having them last. I pride myself going through the boonies not spinning a tire. I don't need to fly through the air.
Now if I could get my tires to go that far, I would be a happy camper! 🤣 🤣
I am hearing that the new toy aren't doing so good. Sad.

I just purchase a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 w/2.4 L Auto Trans, 208,000 miles on it. It straighter than a pin. $1,000.00. it had been well taken cared for. I just had air locker front and rear put in. Going lift it up 2.5". For winch for it. There been more than one I have taken over 250,000 miles on. A lot of them were not using oil yet.
I have 2008 Titan with 265,000 milse on it. It doesn't use oil. Put bearing in the rearend. Replace the Starter at about 210,000 miles. Just with through the brakes replacing the rotors all four, Shock not to long ago. It's there V-8 model. We also have Avalon about 250,000 miles on it. No oil uses. The been some work on it too. Brakes AC, Struct, and few other things.
If you keep them services, and think you are wildman they will last a long time.
It's mostly all about getting them services correctly and mostly on time. Taking care of the small items as needed goes a long way in having them last. I pride myself going through the boonies not spinning a tire. I don't need to fly through the air.
Now if I could get my tires to go that far, I would be a happy camper! 🤣 🤣
I am hearing that the new toy aren't doing so good. Sad.
I run a truck like a sports car. Lol Always have. My last GMC 1500 4x4 had 276,000 miles on it when I sold it for what I paid for it. My 2005 Grandprix has 325,000. Replaced motor n trans at 275,000.

Not sure what motor they put in the colorado but if it has chevys dod or displacement on demand no bueno. Chevy managed to ruin the small block chevy with that crap.

Not sure what motor they put in the colorado but if it has chevys dod or displacement on demand no bueno. Chevy managed to ruin the small block chevy with that crap.

Don't blame Chevy for that one. California and the EPA have destroyed the automotive industry. Whatever CA wants the EPA is soon to follow. Mandated fuel economy, safety, and tailpipe emissions that's an ever changing goal post hurts eveyone.

Don't blame Chevy for that one. California and the EPA have destroyed the automotive industry. Whatever CA wants the EPA is soon to follow. Mandated fuel economy, safety, and tailpipe emissions that's an ever changing goal post hurts eveyone.
This is true. However their system is still terrible. Oil consumption issues, dropping valves, breaking springs and push rods.

I won't try to tell you what's best for you, but, yes, your current rig will run lots more miles. However, as the miles increase, it's value decreases. Combine that with a likely price increase on new vehicles over the next few years and I'm not sure you'll be money ahead by continuing to run it. Just my .02.

This is true. However their system is still terrible. Oil consumption issues, dropping valves, breaking springs and push rods.
I didn't say the engines aren't bad. I'm just saying necessity to stay on the Feds good side made GM, Ford, CDR, and others try things to stay within regs and keep the customer happy. It usually isn't a decision that auto makers want to make.

I won't try to tell you what's best for you, but, yes, your current rig will run lots more miles. However, as the miles increase, it's value decreases.
Vehicles rarely appreciate, and are always an expense. So I don't understand the need to worry about retained value in a vehicle. Value to me is squeezing every last mile I can out of my vehicles.

I mentioned in another post my wife's Volvo. It's an 06 S40 with 180K on the odometer. We paid $2700 for it five years ago, we've added another probably $3000 in repairs over those years and it averages 32 MPG. I'd call a "luxury beater" (wife's affectionate term) a good investment. Paying cash and driving for what averages to $100 a month plus fuel and oil seems a better ROI to me.

First I couldn't agree more with Alf! Want it get it if you can. No one knows if we get to play tomorrow or ride the pine.

I did just shop trucks. Tacoma's are the same they have been for years. I've had a couple. A good and bad thing. New model due out soon when the ev versions and manual trannys go away.

I looked at the Colorado but went to the full size 3.0 diesel for not much more retail. I can say the diesel mpg is very underrated on the sticker!! Can't recommend enough.
DA6592AB-D7A3-4910-AFF7-2ECF56156585_1_201_a.jpeg

Recent Posts