2019 SD antelope

cynjon

Shot my best goat to date a few weeks ago. Cold, rainy, windy day made for a challenging hunt and had a couple of blown stalks on this herd before sealing the deal. I had him once at ~350 yards but he was silhouetted on a hill and couldn't be sure of the background so I passed. Backed out and came in from another direction where I was able to put a tumbleweed covered barbed wire fence between us and was able to close the distance to under 50 yards...not exactly "long range hunting", but sometimes that's how it worked out. Not the longest horns (there were two in the group that had longer and wider) but the mass made up for the lack of length. Rough scored at just under 75...onward and upward to the goal of +80"!

Attachments

• 2019 Antelope.jpg
    2019 Antelope.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 239
Shot my best goat to date a few weeks ago. Cold, rainy, windy day made for a challenging hunt and had a couple of blown stalks on this herd before sealing the deal. I had him once at ~350 yards but he was silhouetted on a hill and couldn't be sure of the background so I passed. Backed out and came in from another direction where I was able to put a tumbleweed covered barbed wire fence between us and was able to close the distance to under 50 yards...not exactly "long range hunting", but sometimes that's how it worked out. Not the longest horns (there were two in the group that had longer and wider) but the mass made up for the lack of length. Rough scored at just under 75...onward and upward to the goal of +80"!
Great buck! Congratulations. Love the mass!

Nice goat! What unit did you hunt? I didn't hunt opening weekend because of the rain and I only drew a doe tag, but it seems like several guys got out and did well, congratulations!

Nice goat! What unit did you hunt? I didn't hunt opening weekend because of the rain and I only drew a doe tag, but it seems like several guys got out and did well, congratulations!
Thanks! I was in unit 21A...first time hunting that unit. I normally hunt up in Harding County.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts