Antelope 2019

brandon327

We are putting in for our tag in 2019 in Wyoming. We plan to camp. What kind of tent is needed for the area? Do most people set up camp for the time they are there or do they move each day to the area they are hunting? Do you need a side by side or atv? Thanks for any help you can give.

Which area of WY? If I'd guess that it's in the plains areas, make sure that any tent can withstand high winds and is waterproof. We use the Cabelas Bighorn tent as an example. No real need to move the entire camp, but you'll be mobile in your 4x4. As to ATVs, you'll need to check for roads where they are legal in your area but if legal, can open up your range. Mainly, you'll either be in position, or drive where you see them, and then make a stalk.
Make sure you have a pair of chains for your 4x4. The temps/snow shouldn't be a problem this time of year but the rains can be hellacious out there.
One thing... no trees in most plains areas. A hoist or 3 tipi poles helps a ton for skinning. Good luck

In a good antelope unit with plenty of public covering ground is the name of the game. I like to be as mobile as possible. You can leave a tent in one spot but I would personally find the ATVs cumbersome. As stated make sure the tent is wind and water proof.

I would have to agree with having a tent that is "wind=proof"! 20 to 40 mph wind isn't out of the question. Make sure if you do set up a tent that you set it up in a sheltered area. I've gotten to the point that I camp out in my pickup topper. It is mobile plus windproof!

In regard to ATV's make sure if you bring them that you get them registered! A 4 wheeler is actually super tough to get around on most of the 2 track roads. One set of tires is in the rut while the other is in the middle..hopping on rock plus brush. They will likely beat you to death! If the larger ATV's can fit in the ruts they would offer a lot better ride!

Wyo roads can turn to gumbo mud in a matter of minutes so keep an eye to the sky! Also, keep gumbo roads in mind where you camp. The Wyo winds tend to dry things out in a hurry but you may be stranded for a while? I'd also be sure to bring tire chains plus a shovel.

I guess I will clarify my ATV statement. In a good goat unit with lots of land you really need to cover more ground than can be done efficiently on an atv.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like we need to leave the ATVs at home. We are buying us a new tent and we're considering a wall tent but it may not handle the wind.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like we need to leave the ATVs at home. We are buying us a new tent and we're considering a wall tent but it may not handle the wind.
I would suggest a side by side or a 4x4 pickup with very good off road tires. As mentioned, 4 wheelers aren't the best but they beat walking. Mt. bikes can be put to good use until it rains.
A game cart is also very handy as well as coolers and dry ice.
Good luck

I would suggest a side by side or a 4x4 pickup with very good off road tires. As mentioned, 4 wheelers aren't the best but they beat walking. Mt. bikes can be put to good use until it rains.
A game cart is also very handy as well as coolers and dry ice.
Good luck
We can bring a side by side. Only have 4x4 trucks.

We can bring a side by side. Only have 4x4 trucks.
We own a 4x4 Yamaha Grizzly and haven't used it for hunting in the last two seasons. We have done all our hunting out of our pickup or occasionally hunt with friends who have side by sides. If it's in the finances we will be getting one this year. Although not needed, they are very handy.

We own a 4x4 Yamaha Grizzly and haven't used it for hunting in the last two seasons. We have done all our hunting out of our pickup or occasionally hunt with friends who have side by sides. If it's in the finances we will be getting one this year. Although not needed, they are very handy.

Oh man, you're gonna love it! We got a Honda Pioneer 500 a few years back and although it doesn't have the bigger 900-1000cc engine, it rips it even in the steeps at elevation. As to our plains ranch hunts, it's the only game in the field when it's dry and they don't want anything with a low catalytic converter starting fires.

As to your mt bike comment, I thought I'd be slick and drag mine out to eastern CO for the hunt. I got about 100ft and both tires were flat from bullheads, even with tire slime. I laugh when I think about it...

Oh man, you're gonna love it! We got a Honda Pioneer 500 a few years back and although it doesn't have the bigger 900-1000cc engine, it rips it even in the steeps at elevation. As to our plains ranch hunts, it's the only game in the field when it's dry and they don't want anything with a low catalytic converter starting fires.

As to your mt bike comment, I thought I'd be slick and drag mine out to eastern CO for the hunt. I got about 100ft and both tires were flat from bullheads, even with tire slime. I laugh when I think about it...
Not to derail this thread on SxS's. But right before Xmas, the wife and I went window shopping in case I needed a quick tax write off for the year.
We looked at a knock off China brand, and all five of the big name brands. We drove the Polaris Ranger and the CanAm Defender, the Ranger is the way we will go if we go new in the Nothstar. It has A/C and heat, and the cab is way ahead of everybody else's. It seemed almost air tight and bet it would be if the A/C was on in the summer.
More than one elk this year got loaded into the back of a SxS and we just pulled it up on the trailer and went home, after a little balancing for tongu weight.;)

I need to throw this out there... my first lope was CO eastern plains, milo and corn fed critters that still eat the native grass and sage. Do the WY lope taste ok, with the rougher diet? I just figured folks aren't taking the time to quickly skin it or other, unless diet is critical to taste. I've always loved the taste of our lope.

.....What kind of tent is needed for the area?........Do you need a side by side or atv?

I've seen it blow hard enough trying to set up a tent could land you in Colorado.

I like my ATV, but not necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts